Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I think they dropped it because the 30.06 which was superior. My guess is they dropped the odd 6 for cost reasons.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Never understood why the military dropped the .303 in favour of the current pea shooters. Oh I know, you wound the enemy and so it takes two of his buddies to carry him off the field. Yeah, if we were fighting a reasonably civilized enemy and not the effing savages in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The .303 was a Brit round, used in the Lee Enfield. The .30.06 was adopted before the 1st World War, and replaced with the 7.62 NATO after WW2.

The M16 and the 5.56 round was developed because the M14 was almost uncontrollable in full auto, and a soldier could carry app twice the ammo with the M16/5.56 as opposed to the M14/7.62 combo.

The M16 also eliminated the operating rod and designed so that the stock is in a straight line with the barrel, this is done to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

I understand that the military is reissuing some M14's, and the M1911A1 .45 is more popular than the Beretta 9MM. I really don't care for the Beretta 92, would rather have a Hi Power. That said, I'd REALLY rather have a 1911 in .45ACP.

Now that's the kind of "Big Government" that I like. But I'm a wheelgun fan, and my GP100 and Python Elite are better suited to my purposes. Only real complaint about the .357 is the muzzle blast, I'm deaf enough already.

Chas
Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Guess my Canadian background was showing, the surplus Lee Enfields were what I was thinking of, along with the nickle jacketed rounds. A few of the lads brought home Lugers but you did not want to be using ammo from there as the slave laborers played games with the powder.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I have a Nazi Hi-Power, got the Wermacht proof marks on it, I HAVE shot it, but IIRC, I wore a heavy leather glove & stood around a big tree when I did, "Just in Case"...And of course, I have a Beretta 92-and a Sig/Sauer P226, along w/several modern Hi-Powers...The only ones that come close to "exciting" me like a .45 Ol' Slabsides are the Hi-Powers...The 92 & the P226, they just don't have "soul" like the others do...They're just so damned "Perfect", whereas a box-stock .45 is a kit, awaiting whatever "improvements" you & yr wallet wanna put into it...