in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Twenty year anniversary

1989 Tiananmen Square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nXT...layer_embedded

That guy had balls of steel !
Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Remember it well, as there will be no celebrations there on this day.
"Ecpyrosis" will not be found in most dictionaries, but it is a philosophical term of the stoics, from the greek "ekpyrosis", and it means: "conflagration; the periodic resolution of all things into fire".
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 AM

Remember it also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
1989 Tiananmen Square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-nXT...layer_embedded

That guy had balls of steel !

Like a lot of people, when I first heard of it I didn't believe it. I just didn't believe the Chinese army would fire on their own people. From what I've read, the students in Tiananmen Square thought at first it was a bluff.

That is an incredible video. I cannot even begin to understand the bravery it took for someone armed with nothing more than two shoping bags to not only just stand there, but to keep his position whenever that tank turned. Does anyone know what happened to him?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

I saw some film on BBC news where two civilians (probably students) rushed to him and pulled him away.

Apparently the Government had to bring in troops from a distant part of the country who were quite willing to fire on their own countrymen. China is made up of many different - I guess you would call them sects or tribes and they do not all like each other.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 AM

You gotta wonder if the concept of not firing on their own countrymen ever entered their minds...Think its kinda ironic how the Chicoms have become so rich & successful by basically out-capitalisting the capitalist roaders they claimed to hate...It doesn't surprise me a bit that Hummer is supposedly being bought by a Chicom outfit...I was kinda thinkin' one of their outfits might have made a play for the whole kit 'n' kaboodle of GM...May have, we'll not know, I guess. I don't think even the Majickal Negroe has enuff cheek to try to get away w/selling GM to the Chicoms, though...(grin)
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Sure glad something like that can't happen here, being we're "The Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave".

Least that's what they taught me in skool, along with a bunch of other lies.

But it doesn't matter, cause the football team looks strong for next year,
Chas
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Yeah, who gives a tinker's cuss about God, the REAL religion 'round here is PHOOTBALL-from Pee-Wee to the Gawdamighty Vols...Some even sorta worship the Titans, but for most it stops with The Vols...At least I hear God's name raised-often in vain-but raised- often in connection w/The Vols...The last several years mostly it has been profane & in vain, however...Maybe this new Pope who serves in the Temple of Neyland on the banks of the Tennessee can turn things around, & bring all the Heathens & Apostates back to the fold...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM

I still remember seeing that news footage. The Chinese suppress all images of that event now, trying to expunge it as though it did not happen. I wonder what became of that young man.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 AM

I don't think they killed him, but I believe he DID spend several years in prison...