Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
There, there Finn. It's OK. I know these are troubling times for you. I can see it in your posts. Its with folks like you in mind that this thread was created. I just want to help with your recovery and healing.
Unlike you, I'm skeptical of politicians on both sides (and didn't vote for Hillary - Kasich was my guy). For whatever reason, manipulation and manipulative people have long been things I strongly dislike, find disreputable, and often strike out against. That's my primary beef with Trump and the campaign he ran, which featured "fake news" as a primary component. Trump helped normalize this behavior with his constant lying and retweeting fake news are things he should be held to account for.

Now that this has come to the fore with Comet Ping Pong (a place I know well and have eaten at several times), I find the concerted effort by Trump and his minions in right-wing media to deny the existence of fake news and how Trump benefited from it distasteful and dishonest.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Unlike you, I'm skeptical of politicians on both sides (and didn't vote for Hillary - Kasich was my guy).
Thanks for showing your true far right stripes.

Kasich would have been worse than Hillary.

If the election had been Kasich vs. Hillary, or any of the other Republicans other than Trump vs. Hillary, I would have voted for Hillary.

The only candidate on the Republican side that was better than Hillary was Trump.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 12-07-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Unlike you, I'm skeptical of politicians on both sides (and didn't vote for Hillary - Kasich was my guy). For whatever reason, manipulation and manipulative people have long been things I strongly dislike, find disreputable, and often strike out against. That's my primary beef with Trump and the campaign he ran, which featured "fake news" as a primary component. Trump helped normalize this behavior with his constant lying and retweeting fake news are things he should be held to account for.

Now that this has come to the fore with Comet Ping Pong (a place I know well and have eaten at several times), I find the concerted effort by Trump and his minions in right-wing media to deny the existence of fake news and how Trump benefited from it distasteful and dishonest.
I find this fascinating, really. The selective indignation is stunning. We still have folks right here on this forum this still believe the Gabby Giffords shooter was inspired by Sarah Palin. The story ran ad naseum in the "mainstream" news. The NY Post ran a story headlining that "Giffords Blood was on Palin's Hands". There was ZERO evidence that the shooter saw or even cared about Palin's "target" ad. Didn't matter a whit, the story was debated in the press for weeks.

Yet you guys are all spun up about a few tweets. Amazing.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 PM

Is the New York Post mainstream media? I always thought it was a tabloid.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I find this fascinating, really. The selective indignation is stunning. We still have folks right here on this forum this still believe the Gabby Giffords shooter was inspired by Sarah Palin. The story ran ad naseum in the "mainstream" news. The NY Post ran a story headlining that "Giffords Blood was on Palin's Hands". There was ZERO evidence that the shooter saw or even cared about Palin's "target" ad. Didn't matter a whit, the story was debated in the press for weeks.

Yet you guys are all spun up about a few tweets. Amazing.
You're grasping at straws, dude. The has never been a presidential candidate with such a casual relationship, even contempt, for truth and facts. Trump's own surrogate proclaimed "there are no such thing as facts" as she defended her boss's incessant lying and forwarding of fake news tweets from Infowars and Breitbart (measure at ~75% of what he said - about triple any other candidate present or past). Then he hires one of the premier purveyors of fake news, Steve Bannon, as his key advisor while his national security advisor retweets verifiably fake news, the same fake news which caused some clown to shoot up a local pizza joint. Maybe I take it a bit personally that one of my preferred pizza places gets shot up by some asshole reacting to fake news distributed by, among others, the National Security Advisor and his chief of staff (and son). Unlike you, I expect more from the National Security Advisor.

As for it being just "a few tweets," how about ~30,000 tweets, in which the most frequently source for his retweets was Breitbart. For whatever reason, I expect the president to be a bit more discriminating as to the source of his "news." Meanwhile, he blows off intelligence briefings and defies the intelligence community when they show compelling evidence of Russian involvement in the election.

There's a reason why the Oxford Dictionary announced a couple weeks ago that "post-truth" was its 2016 word of the year and yer boy, The Donald, is the driving force behind that choice. I guess you're OK with him accusing Ted Cruz's father of conspiring to assassinate JFK - so very presidential of him. If it helps you sleep at night to believe that Trump is a virtuous, dignified person, have at it. I'll pass.

Last edited by finnbow; 12-07-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Ready

Who knows what whell believes when he's lying in his bed. We'll never know. Whell gives little or nothing of himself here. He just throws party-line brickbats.

With his public persona so welded to the party line, if he ever has the slightest doubt of Trump's virtue and dignity, we'll never hear of it.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Admin

Nothing to see here, eh Mike?

'Feds: Woman made death threats to Sandy Hook victim’s parent'

"MIAMI — A Florida woman has been charged with making death threats against the parent of a child who died in the Sandy Hook school shooting massacre because she thought the attack was a hoax, federal authorities announced Wednesday.
Lucy Richards, 57, of Tampa was arrested Monday after a grand jury indictment on four felony counts of transmitting threats, the U.S. Justice Department said in a statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.684ba976b640
Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Nothing to see here, eh Mike?

'Feds: Woman made death threats to Sandy Hook victim’s parent'

"MIAMI — A Florida woman has been charged with making death threats against the parent of a child who died in the Sandy Hook school shooting massacre because she thought the attack was a hoax, federal authorities announced Wednesday.
Lucy Richards, 57, of Tampa was arrested Monday after a grand jury indictment on four felony counts of transmitting threats, the U.S. Justice Department said in a statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.684ba976b640
And the primary purveyor of this particular trash is InfoWars' Alex Jones, a friend of Trump's whose reputation Trump refers to as "amazing" and who one of the very first people to receive a phone call from Trump after the election.

Here's another factoid for you:

Legitimate news stories outperformed the fake ones in the early months of the 2016 election campaign. But in the last three months, fake news sources saw their engagement surge. There’s a clear partisan dimension to this story. According to Silverman, 17 out of the 20 fake news stories had information favoring Donald Trump.

Last edited by finnbow; 12-07-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
And the primary purveyor of this particular trash is InfoWars' Alex Jones, a friend of Trump's whose reputation Trump refers to as "amazing" and who one of the very first people to receive a phone call from Trump after the election.
Hell, the Twitter prez loves the National Enquirer along with any other bag o' hammers news source that catches his eye. The pendulum has swung once again and now the far right morons are in charge. I hope these idjits don't get us in a shooting war with China.

Welcome to the Confederate States of Idiocracy.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Ready

The crazy thing in that graph is the lack of resurgence of interest in the mainstream media as the election neared. Instead the fake stuff, with glitter and button-pushing, effectively captured the bounce.