Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Memorial day

Let us not forget.

Last edited by JJIII; 06-16-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 AM

I always think of Dad on Memorial Day. Just a 19 year old kid, the Navy assigned him to a an LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) as an Electrician's Mate in the Pacific during WWII. They then sent him off to support Marine landings on nasty battle fronts like Tinian, Peleliu, and Saipan. He never spoke about those days much, but when he did, you knew that its was the stuff nightmares are made of.

Greatest generation? Absolutely. Miss you Dad!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

May God Bless our brave boys (and girls), living or dead.

Pete
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I always think of Dad on Memorial Day. Just a 19 year old kid, the Navy assigned him to a an LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) as an Electrician's Mate in the Pacific during WWII. They then sent him off to support Marine landings on nasty battle fronts like Tinian, Peleliu, and Saipan. He never spoke about those days much, but when he did, you knew that its was the stuff nightmares are made of.

Similar to my pop. He was a bit older (30 years old) when WWII broke out and had just finished his undergraduate degree at Georgetown U. He went in for a draft physical in Rockville, MD, at which the doctor said "You won't get drafted until Hitler comes goose-stepping down Rockville Pike" because of his poor eyesight.

He was drafted 3 months later, trained as a medic, and was sent off to New Guinea. His only stories about New Guinea centered on stuff after the fighting. Specifically, he told of the Japs coming out of hiding in their caves in the mountains at night to steal food from the mess hall.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

Ditto, only mine got to tour France (battle of Metz) Belgium (Ardennes or battle of the bulge) Germany (Trier and points south) and Austria at the end of the war in Europe.
His division, the 10th Armored seemed to be the sharp point of Patton's spear after he borrowed the division. His theory was that if he kept the 10th AD in forefront of battle he would never have to give them back to the First or Seventh Army. 78% of this division had to be replaced along the way because they were dead or wounded. They were in combat 126 days.

Have a real good Memorial Day and take moment out of your busy day to remember your fellow countrymen & women's sacrifices rendered to us. We owe them more than words can say.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I read that it was the losses on the western front that started the desegregation of the army. Truman already knew that whites would accept blacks in combat situations.

I think I'll take time out this weekend to read 'The Longest Day'. The movie does not do it justice.

Pete
Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Here's kind of a cool "tangent".

After posting in this thread, I did a quick Google search to see if I could find a pic of my dad's ship to post. Well, I found one, and it comes complete with a pretty cool story attached. See page 24 of the PDF linked below:

http://www.usslci.com/html/documents...ITEMISSE64.pdf

I remember my dad talking about the Typhoon that hit Okinawa at the end of the War, and his boat getting beached. I don't remember him talking about the Amelia Earhardt thing, but I can imagine on a Navy ship it must have been a source of great scuttlebutt at the time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM

One more, then I'll stop:

"The Secretary of the Navy takes pleasure in commending

LCI(G) FLOTILLA THREE, AMPHIBIOUS FORCES, PACIFIC FLEET

for service as follows

"For outstanding heroism in action in support of amphibious landings on enemy Japanese-hold Kwajalein and Eniwetok Atolls in the Marshall Islands, and on Saipan, Guam and Tinian in the Marianas, from January 31 to July 28, 1944. Operating dangerously in poorly charted waters off the reef-studded shores of those heavily fortified hostile bases, LCI(G) Flotilla THREE preceded the assault waves to deliver concentrated rocket and gunfire at perilously close range against beach entrenchments, pill boxes and blockhouses, repeatedly navigating unswept channels to carry out their missions, the ships of Flotilla THREE suffered serious damage under heavy Japanese gunfire and the intense cross-fire of our own ships and, despite numerous casualties, rendered substantial aid to our invasion forces. Gallantly responding to the many calls for close-in fire, the units of the Flotilla provided smoke and protective screens for the large combatant and auxiliary vase. sole against hostile aircraft,$ submarines and small craft; they disrupted potentially dangerous counterattacks by Japanese landing barges and they defied enemy fire to conduct daring patrols in support of reconnaissance and demolition parties, The unique and varied service rendered by LCI(G) Flotilla THREE was directly instrumental in breaking down enemy resistance on these.fiercely defended islands and reflects the aggressive fighting spirit of the officers and men who braved fanatic Japanese opposition to fulfill their missions."

All personnel serving in the Following ships which constituted Flotilla THREE during the period of this citation are hereby authorized to wear the NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION Ribbons LCI(G)'s 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 345, 346, 347, 348, 365, 366, 371, 372, 373, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463, 470, 725, and 726.

/s/ JAMES FORRESTAL

JAMES FORRESTAL
Secretary of the Navy"
Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM

I am more than happy that Political Chat Forums has taken their time to make a post remembering those that have given so much for our Country and our Freedom.

My father was a member of the Amphibious Engineers, and was among the first on the beaches of the Normandy Invasions. He and his men were sent to clear out obstacles built by the Germans to prevent landing craft form making it on to the beaches. And after the Invasion were assigned to destroy heavily reinforced bunkers and pillboxes. He and his men were assigned to various units after the invasion and used to reinforce bridges, construct pontoon bridges, and fight along with the units that they were assigned to when their skills were not needed.

My father was proud of his service to our country and never regretted serving his country, even though his injuries during the war eventually lead to his passing. My fathers last wish was to be burried with the men that he had served with.

God, Please Bless All those that served our country, and gave so much for each of us to be free from tyranny. And make each of us worthy of their sacrifices.

Again, Thank You All for this string.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washington-dc-arlington-national-cemetery-s.jpg (52.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Big_Bill; 05-25-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
This guy could do with a little time in Purgatory but then let him in, too, for having done what he thought was "service."

We're all just men of our times...