Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I guess we practice freedom of religion but not freedom from religion.
I've had people tell me they think American "Freedom of Religion" means Christianity (specifically) should remain free to dominate our society.

Sorry, but I fail to see how one religion, using the muscle of government to force it's beliefs and dogmas on everyone can be called "freedom" by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. If you're part of the group doing the dominating you probably feel unhindered, thus creating the illusion of freedom in your own mind. I think MLK had it right when he said; "...no man is free until all men are free." (Paraphrased from memory.)

Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I don't believe you guys. Let's say the flu shots only work 50% of the time. So a 50% reduction in your chance of feeling crappy for a week ain't worth $25.00 (or nothing, with most insurance?)

You were just unlucky, Rex E. You'd already caught the stuff when you got your shot.
You are just wrong DQ.

The only time I ever got a flu shot I caught the flu several times that year. More than once and at different times. I was sick a lot that year. Before that I'd get ill one time a year. Since that I get ill about one time a year.

You do what you like but I know for a fact how it works for me. Oddly enough, many in my family and several right here seem to agree with me.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Ready

If you came down with in 3 days after the shot, that is within the normal 1-4 day incubation period for the flue. If you got the shot at a doctor's office, it's perfectly possible you got infected with the flu there. Sick people go to doctor's offices. Or you could have gotten the virus someplace else, of course. But i still think the association (in time} of the shot with your case of flu does NOT mean the shot gave you the flu.

In any case, it proves nothing about the effectiveness of the shot. It takes about 2 weeks for the shot-induced immunity to develop.

All that said, I'm not the one that suggested making them mandatory. I know no reason why the shot would mess you up, but I'm fine with you or anyone acting in accordance with your own thinking and experience.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 PM

^^^says the shareholders too
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Admin

I'll take the flu shot, I have for years and never a reaction other than not getting the flu. Probably get a pneumonia vaccination this year, too. Suit yourselves.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

We get it every year - early, for the very simple reason that the flu would pu Florence in hospital and me passing it on to her would not be a bright idea.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've had people tell me they think American "Freedom of Religion" means Christianity (specifically) should remain free to dominate our society.

Sorry, but I fail to see how one religion, using the muscle of government to force it's beliefs and dogmas on everyone can be called "freedom" by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. If you're part of the group doing the dominating you probably feel unhindered, thus creating the illusion of freedom in your own mind. I think MLK had it right when he said; "...no man is free until all men are free." (Paraphrased from memory.)

Dave
The very reason for the 1st was that the COE was the state religion in colonial days and church attendance was mandatory in colonial day and the Framers wanted no part of that.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The very reason for the 1st was that the COE was the state religion in colonial days and church attendance was mandatory in colonial day and the Framers wanted no part of that.
You would think that one simple point would be all it should take. But, alas, we still have people who don't get it. And right many of them, unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It's a two edged sword. They didn't want the government to be subjected to the whims of any one religion, and they didn't want any church subjected to the whims of government.

I've never gotten the flu the years I've gotten the flu shot, could be coincidence but why not. I don't get sick very often knock on skull.

Pete