Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:25 PM
Admin

Catalytic Converter Thieves (grumble, grumble)

Some rat bastard hacksawed the C/C out of my old '03 Ranger 3L. The dealership wants 4 grand to replace it. Good thing we have State Farm full boat insurance on the old warhorse otherwise to Pick A Part it would go.

Mileage is just over 60k so I'd rather keep it. It tows a smaller camper with nary a wheeze and gets decent mileage on regular gas.

I wonder how hard it would be to armor up the C/C so that it would be too much work the next time some piece of shit wants to make a quick buck. A cage made of square tube with free spinning re-bar inside might get their goat when they try a Sawzall on it.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Some rat bastard hacksawed the C/C out of my old '03 Ranger 3L. The dealership wants 4 grand to replace it. Good thing we have State Farm full boat insurance on the old warhorse otherwise to Pick A Part it would go.

Mileage is just over 60k so I'd rather keep it. It tows a smaller camper with nary a wheeze and gets decent mileage on regular gas.

I wonder how hard it would be to armor up the C/C so that it would be too much work the next time some piece of shit wants to make a quick buck. A cage made of square tube with free spinning re-bar inside might get their goat when they try a Sawzall on it.
And that's why they call it the "steelership" , I went to Rock Auto and both front and rear converters for an 03 Ranger 3.0 V6 can be had for around $400 each, did the scumbag steal both or just one?
Old 05-25-2022, 03:43 PM

They hit one of my sons work lot and got away with some C/C. High $$ ones....

Like close to 2,600 each for a IIRC Toyota Tundra and a Preis at 3,600 each that had dual exhausts so two C/C.

I'd like to know how they are able to sell them?

Last edited by Oerets; 05-25-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
And that's why they call it the "steelership" , I went to Rock Auto and both front and rear converters for an 03 Ranger 3.0 V6 can be had for around $400 each, did the scumbag steal both or just one?
Both. With comprehensive insurance it won't cost me a dime. Hell, they're paying for a rental car, too. I've already told State Farm they can have the work done wherever they like.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:01 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Wow that stinks!

Cleveland is a little different than CA (!) but here if you go to discount muffler shops they tend to be reasonable. They price assuming they're getting the old one but have to hold their price if it's stolen Or so I've been told.

NICE truck! I currently drive a 93 S-10. I'd consider the new Maverick but don't really want a 4 door.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
They hit one of my sons work lot and got away with some C/C. High $$ ones....

Like close to 2,600 each for a IIRC Toyota Tundra and a Preis at 3,600 each that had dual exhausts so two C/C.

I'd like to know how they are able to sell them?
There's anywhere from 3 to 5 grams of PGM (platinum group metals) in each one so I wouldn't put it past them to smelt it out rather than sell the CC on.

CCs have a serial #s stamped into the casing so the cops are hot to trot on prosecuting these fuckers. We told the local gendarmes we'd be happy to prosecute if they found it. Fuck it, I'll sit in court for a day if needs be. Retirement has it's benefits.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:10 PM

I take scrap to be recycled and seen them being turned in. Have to fill out paperwork and show a picture of the car off of. The worker verified the make and model sorta stuff. Took a picture of the seller too....