Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Was interviewed yesterday

Yesterday we voted on 4.2 mil property tax increase in our town. http://berkleyschoolbond.com/

Its been a very hot topic in these trying economic times for the residents of our tiny town. We just voted down a large increase the end of this year to remodel our community center.

It just amazes me that they feel without these "improvements" our property values will fall even more. What world do they live in.

As you can probably tell, you know how I voted. Before you go lumping me into one party or another, I have never voted against anything that benefited our schools or children. This time they were asking for way too much at the worse time possible.

So the wife and I voted and stopped at a restaurant afterwords. A small town news reporter asked us our thoughts. If they print our interview ill post it.

The results are in and the bond was voted down by 69%

Grumpy
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Here in Bugtussell, they always pass. They just keep bringing them up at every election until the find an election that is so obscure that no one turns out to vote. Then they notify likely supporters that it once again is up for vote.

Might take five or six times, but they all eventually pass.

Chas
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

That would never fly here. With 20 % plus unemployment, no one is going to vote for a 5-600 a dollar a year tax increase for an undetermined time.

Looks like they will try again at the end of the year or 2011.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Area Man

I know this is an old thread, but it brought something to mind. I too have always voted for things that I believed may benefit the children in my community, although I have no kids, myself. Until about 12 years ago, that is.

The local High School, Indian River High claimed they needed several million dollars to build a new school. The old school, built in the 1950s was too small and developing constant and costly maintenance issues. I, among many other residents, voted for the funding. Well, a couple years passed, and all they did was surround the school with trailers. People complained, and we were told that the trailers were temporary, there until construction was finished. A year later, still no construction. People complained. We were told that because of other "changes" made elsewhere in the city that money had to be reallocated to other areas. They built a new school in the Greenbriar area (Read-more affluent.). And that a new school bond would have to be raised if we wanted the Indian River situation adressed. I smelled bullshit, and voted against it, but enough people voted for it that it passed.

To shorten the story up, that was twelve years ago.

The damn trailers are still there. They still call for a school bond vote every year, and every year it gets killed. The sad part is that it's different people on the board now. But, because of the crap their predecessors pulled, the school will probably never get built.
And who knows where in the hell all of that money went? Probably to build the school over at Edinburgh Commons, an even wealthier neighborhood.

And before you guys get started, this is Virginia. One of the Reddest of the Red states.
And that's how things are done here. One of the first thing I was told when I moved here in '86, from California; "This is a Commonwealth State. That means, if you aint wealthy, they gonna treat you common as shit."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-07-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Abby Normal

I'd like to see a national ban on kids going to school in trailers.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I'd like to see a national ban on kids going to school in trailers.

I don't know about that. Henry ford HS in Greenfield village is one of the most prestigious high schools in Michigan. Its students go to school in old Pullman railroad cars.

back on the topic of this post. The newspaper did not print our interview. Fine by me. The head of the school board was quoted as saying how shocked he was by the results. Shows how out of touch he is. Oh yeah they are going to try again but they wont say when.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I don't know about that. Henry ford HS in Greenfield village is one of the most prestigious high schools in Michigan. Its students go to school in old Pullman railroad cars.

Don't be to quick to dismiss behavioral architecture.

I googled Henry ford HS in Greenfield village images but found nothing. Was this done on the cheap or was this done with art/architectural recycling in mind?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

They just built a new school up the road a piece. Looking back at my property taxes I think we paid for the foundation.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Don't be to quick to dismiss behavioral architecture.

I googled Henry ford HS in Greenfield village images but found nothing. Was this done on the cheap or was this done with art/architectural recycling in mind?

Greenfield village should be on everyones bucket list http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.aspx

Here is HFA's site http://www.hfacademy.org/
Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Greenfield village should be on everyones bucket list http://www.hfmgv.org/village/index.aspx

Here is HFA's site http://www.hfacademy.org/
Thanks but I was looking for photos that might show the Pullman railroad cars you mentioned.

It does look like a great town.

Last edited by noonereal; 03-07-2010 at 10:39 AM.