Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Mayor DiBlasio had this to say about the police assassinations:

"When a police officer is murdered, it tears at the foundation of our society," de Blasio said. "It is an attack on all of us. It is an attack on everything we hold dear. We depend on our police to protect us against forces of criminality and evil."

What he says is undeniably true but it's doubly true when it's the police who are murderers. As the mayor says, "We depend on our police" but when they become the "forces of criminality and evil" what are we to do?

John
Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 PM

I am sure good cops outnumber bad cops 99 to 1 or better. It's the blind support and coverup that we find unacceptable. Do I expect the good cops to take this lying down. No, never. We don't take revenge against the faithful and innocent. So the bad guys better not get caught jaywalking in New York.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I am sure good cops outnumber bad cops 99 to 1 or better. It's the blind support and coverup that we find unacceptable. Do I expect the good cops to take this lying down. No, never. We don't take revenge against the faithful and innocent. So the bad guys better not get caught jaywalking in New York.
I suspect it's more like 20:1. The job is a magnet for maladjusted violent people and the screening process is far from perfect.

I once heard it said that the typical police academy class is pretty much equally divided between people who are highly motivated toward serving the community, people just looking for a job and people who are basically sociopaths and psychopaths.

John
Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
We don't take revenge against the faithful and innocent.
I assume you are being sarcastic.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I assume you are being sarcastic.
I think he meant it and, if I understand what he meant, I agree. The indiscriminate nature of these killings means that the victims were probably good cops who wouldn't dream of behaving the way Wilson, Pantaleo, Mehserle, Gelhaus and other murderer cops have behaved. They were faithful to their calling as peace officers and innocent of the crimes for which they died.

John
Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think he meant it and, if I understand what he meant, I agree. The indiscriminate nature of these killings means that the victims were probably good cops who wouldn't dream of behaving the way Wilson, Pantaleo, Mehserle, Gelhaus and other murderer cops have behaved. They were faithful to their calling as peace officers and innocent of the crimes for which they died.

John
I thought he meant that the Police wouldn't take reprisals against black people in general. I think a whole lot of black people are going to be dealt an extra ration of shit because of this irregardless of whether they are guilty or not.

The Dude who killed these cops checked out by his own hand, so the cops can't take it out on him. So they will be looking for targets of opportunity instead.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
The indiscriminate nature of these killings means that the victims were probably good cops who wouldn't dream of behaving the way Wilson, Pantaleo, Mehserle, Gelhaus and other murderer cops have behaved.
That could very well be.

If I were a family member of one of these cops I would blame Pantaeleo, not the shooter.

Just like if my son had gotten whacked on one of his combat tours to Iraq, I would have blamed Bush and Cheney and not the Haji that whacked him.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:

John
I meant this precisely.

Quote:
I thought he meant that the Police wouldn't take reprisals against black people in general. I think a whole lot of black people are going to be dealt an extra ration of shit because of this irregardless of whether they are guilty or not.

The Dude who killed these cops checked out by his own hand, so the cops can't take it out on him. So they will be looking for targets of opportunity instead.
I also said in the same post that the good (or bad) cops are not going to take this sitting down and they would be well justified in their own minds. This is a form of terrorism against the cops and they do not stand down. Note the pursuit in the case of the shooter in PA.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
I suspect it's more like

I once heard it said

John
Well, there ya go! Irrefutable truths!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Check out the video.

There are 4 cops holding this kid down against the hood of a car and then a 5th one in plain clothes just rushes in and takes a couple of cheap shots.

Disgusting.
i laughed out loud when i read thîs because it's ironīc.

It's ironic because this is just how things are done out here.

This is the norm.

Saying it's disgusting suggests that you thīnk this out of the ôrdinary. I assure you this is what policing is.