Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Admin

The Face of Austerity in Michigan

WTF is wrong with Michigan? Four hundred school kids are told to simply stay home because the funds aren't there to keep their school open.Buena Vista in Saginaw. Nice goin' Rick Snyder. So much for being a constitutionalist.

Last edited by bobabode; 05-13-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Disgusting
makes me want to just turn off the news for a year or so.
A governor should take care of his people first. Inexcusable.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Might want to get your facts straight on this one Bob. The MI Dept of Ed is withholding funds because the BV school district took almost half a million from the state for very questionable reasons, not spending it on students in their own district. In a school district of only about 430 kids, that money would have kept the school district flush for the balance of the school year and beyond.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Might want to get your facts straight on this one Bob. The MI Dept of Ed is withholding funds because the BV school district took almost half a million from the state for very questionable reasons, not spending it on students in their own district. In a school district of only about 430 kids, that money would have kept the school district flush for the balance of the school year and beyond.
The kids did that? Even if you are correct the kids should not suffer.
We have a saying in the Navy it is not my fault but it is my responsibility. Which means if you have a problem do not look for blame but find the solution.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Right, illegally punishing the families & the kids is the solution. Gotcha, Mike. Just a bunch a poor takers in a poor district. Did they cut the school year in your kids district?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Admin

One tenth of one percent of Michigan's rainy day fund would make up the shortfall but Guvernator Snyder says nah. Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM

You are watching All In with Chris Hayes too?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The kids did that? Even if you are correct the kids should not suffer.
We have a saying in the Navy it is not my fault but it is my responsibility. Which means if you have a problem do not look for blame but find the solution.
No, the district did that. I don't disagree that the kids shouldn't suffer, and it appears that solutions are being discussed. But the OP's contention that this was somehow the Governor's doing is simply not true.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
One tenth of one percent of Michigan's rainy day fund would make up the shortfall but Guvernator Snyder says nah. Why am I not surprised?
Because the fund isn't there to cover for local school officials who screw up. If Snyder paid one thin dime to the BV school district, the next call he'd get would be from the Detroit Public School system, and they'd wipe out the entire fund in a New York minute.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You are watching All In with Chris Hayes too?
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/in...strict_cl.html

These kids haven't been to school since May 3rd. Rick Snyder wants the federal government to fund school "camps". Sounds like fun, eh. 48 degrees in Saginaw today. Make sure you bring your winter coats kiddies.