Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Whats ironic is that in my family is was a subject that was never discussed. My mothers entire family lived in Berlin. My fathers side Poland.

I do wish that my kids could have gotten the story first hand from those who survived.

We will be visiting the Holocaust museum very soon.

Grumpy
I hope other people follow your example of taking an active role in your kids' education. We can't learn from past mistakes without knowing the truth about those mistakes.

Maybe if people were better educated about the Holocaust, we wouldn't see the words Nazi or Hitler thrown about in political debates. As much disdain as I have for plenty of politicians, I don't see any of them insane enough to honestly be called Nazis. We have, however, shown ourselves capable of demonizing other religious groups. Sometimes education can be a slow painful experience.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Area Man

They did when I was in school. But I will say that I learned far more about the Holocaust from Tili Darak and Ivan Gran(iewitz), two survivors that lived in our neighborhood when I was a kid.

It was Tili that told us, (With a thick Hungarian accent.)
"It's the macho men with the flags and the brass bands. The ones who try to shame you and say you don't love your country if you don't go along. Those are the ones who are up to no damn good."

Words I will never forget, so long as I live.

Dave, I consider it to have been a deep honor to have listened to the stories of those two proud Jews. Tough and smart people. May they rest in peace.

Dave
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Either that, or you're getting the textbooks tailored to Texas. You won't find a civil rights movement mentioned in the Texas textbooks, either.

Regards,

D-Ray
That whole situation and the Conservapedia nonsense just flatout sickens me.

Dave
Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 AM

Am I the only one who is concerned that criticisms of the Allies are never taught in schools?

Japanese Detainment Camps are never mentioned, for example.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Surprisingly my 7th grade daughter just finished up a semester on Africa. She has a pretty good grasp on apartheid.

But when it comes to WWII she is pretty lost. We have been learning about our family history which is quite different then what I was lead to believe as a child.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post
Am I the only one who is concerned that criticisms of the Allies are never taught in schools?

Japanese Detainment Camps are never mentioned, for example.
Somehow I think we adults are somehow of the impression that our kids aren't learning this stuff just because they aren't telling us about it. I know for a fact that my kids learned about the Japanese internment camps, the Holocaust, American atrocities in the Philippines in the Spanish American War (and its dubious beginnings), the Gulf of Tonkin, Stalin's purges, etc.

Maybe it's just because our schools are relatively good, but I, for one, am quite impressed with their quality. They have served my kids extremely well. In a way, I think it has to do with parental interest in history spurring curiosity in these areas among kids. My kids have all taken AP American and World history courses and have learned a great deal more about history than many of the adults who bitch about the perceived instructional shortcomings in the schools.

That said, American schoolchildren are far more aware of and educated about the Holocaust that the other 20th century genocides of similar or greater magnitude (Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot in Cambodia, Turkish Armenian ...)

Last edited by finnbow; 12-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Area Man

I know some people, my best friend is one of them, who don't see the value of history at all. "That was then, this is now." So sad. Then when something pops up and you tell them how it will turn out---and it does turn out that way, they don't understand how you knew. Uh, maybe it's because we've done this before?

I also find that "the adults who bitch" aren't pissed because the school isn't teaching the kids, but because the school isn't teaching the kids what the parent wants them too.
The people who keep yelling that they want religious studies in the school come to mind.
Personally, I think these parents are idiots, and I can't stand them. Why is it so hard to get these people to understand? Instill religious beliefs in your children IN CHURCH AND/OR AT HOME. It's a simple concept. It really is.

Dave
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Somehow I think we adults are somehow of the impression that our kids aren't learning this stuff just because they aren't telling us about it. I know for a fact that my kids learned about the Japanese internment camps, the Holocaust, American atrocities in the Philippines in the Spanish American War (and its dubious beginnings), the Gulf of Tonkin, Stalin's purges, etc.

same here, I talk to my daughter a lot and indeed most all these things we have talked about because of school studies.

actually this thread has made me realize how well our school system has done

still they don't like that I want them to offer Mandarin instead of Spanish
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Sahib View Post
"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools."
- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary (1911)
If you ever had the pleasure of watching "Ice Road Truckers" on "The Bullshit Channel", I'm sure your perception of history would change.

It's far worse than you imagine.

Chas
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
same here, I talk to my daughter a lot and indeed most all these things we have talked about because of school studies.

actually this thread has made me realize how well our school system has done

still they don't like that I want them to offer Mandarin instead of Spanish
Getting us ready to compete in the new China-dominated global economy?

Regards,

D-Ray