Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Loyal Opposition

Christmas Traditions

To me, one of the most wonderful parts of Christmas is the tradition - things that your family looks forward to every year. For us, they are the Christmas Eve candle-lighting service at the church (terrific music last night); biscuits and gravy as our Christmas meal (the boys really look forward to that one - one thing the old man can do right); and watching A Christmas Story on cable. The most exciting thing is gathering family together!

What do you look forward to at this time of the year?

By the way, Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas,

D-Ray
Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Lately our tradition is a family trip to visit my Dad at the Alzheimer's ward in Warrensburg...nothing to look forward to, but a tradition nonetheless.

I am looking forward to seeing my wife again. She worked Thurs nite at the home for the criminally insane, stayed there yesterday so she could work last nite, then called an hour ago. They had a bunch of call ins and didn't have enough RN's to fill the slots...so she has to work a double.

Oh well, life ain't perfect, I do feel so sorry for her.

Anyway, enjoy the day, I'm sure everyone has been handed the short end of the stick on occasion.

Chas
Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I know what you mean Chas. My wife has worked at a health care facility for 24 years and has had to be there every Christmas morning every year, but then, so have all the other employees. We've gotten used to it.

Enjoy the day!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I know what you mean Chas. My wife has worked at a health care facility for 24 years and has had to be there every Christmas morning every year, but then, so have all the other employees. We've gotten used to it.

Enjoy the day!
Families can make the holiday when they want to. With a wife who is a nurse, we have learned to fit the holiday in. Last year she worked Christmas Eve, and then the snow storm hit, and no one came in and no one went home. We found a way to make it Christmas later.

Merry Christmas,

D-ray
Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

We set up Skype and spoke to our son in Germany for an hour while we were around the tree. His ski trip to Austria fell through, so he's staying in Wiesbaden over the holidays.

For such occasions, Skype is an amazing (and free) thing.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

I have Skype loaded and waiting for the call from our Granddaughters, so that may well become a tradition. Chas, JJ and Don make Boxing Day your Christmas, and Bless your ladies for their devotion.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:46 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I've learned that a date on a calender doesn't make the day. My family makes almost every day a Christmas of it's own.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I have Skype loaded and waiting for the call from our Granddaughters, so that may well become a tradition. Chas, JJ and Don make Boxing Day your Christmas, and Bless your ladies for their devotion.
Speaking of Boxing Day, we're headed over tomorrow to the house of my son's band's drummer. His parents are English and they're having a hoedown tomorrow afternoon. I think he's laid in all sorts of English beers for the occasion - very lovely and funny folks.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Speaking of Boxing Day, we're headed over tomorrow to the house of my son's band's drummer. His parents are English and they're having a hoedown tomorrow afternoon. I think he's laid in all sorts of English beers for the occasion - very lovely and funny folks.
Listening to live music, drinking beer and talking to folks with a British accent - what a great way to spend a few hours!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Area Man

My family has become so scattered that the traditions are all but gone. Everyone is off doing their own thing. Kinda sad, cuz it was great when we were kids. Christmas was a very busy day, back then. Everyone visited everyone. We were usually exhausted by the time it was over.

But, we did have a decent get together on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.
My Sisters Kristi and Wendy and Kristis husband Dennis came here Christmas Eve. I had cooked a pot roast. We ate, talked and had a few beers. I had a cd, Bonnie Rideout-"A Scottish Christmas", on the main system. Everyone commented on how beautiful it sounded. Of course, that made my day.

Good food, good music, good conversation and a good drink. All in all, not a bad Christmas. I've had much, much worse.

Dave