Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
The cult will be erecting Trump statues, shrines and maybe even a religion.
Trump has not responded or posted yet from my quick search. Even so, I would be more concerned about Jean Carroll's safety. Hope the moron keeps his yap shut.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
He went to shit and the hogs ate him.

There was an attorney on FOX this afternoon who pointed out that if Trump hadn't made defamatory statements about Carroll, this case could not have gone ahead on accusations of assault only. The fucking megalomaniac did this to himself. First in the defamation, then in his brainfucked deposition.
Quote:
In those two Truth Social posts, Trump said the case was “a made up SCAM,” called her lawyer “a political operative, financed by a big political donor.” He also wrote “Does anybody believe that I would take a then almost 60 year old woman that I didn’t know, from the front door of a very crowded department store, (with me being very well known, to put it mildly!), into a tiny dressing room, and …. her.”

The jury said they determined Trump knew his statement about the lawsuit being a hoax was false, and thus defamatory under New York’s stringent standard of “actual malice.” As reported by The New York Times, Medill School of Journalism professor Ashlee Humphreys testified on behalf of Carroll during the trial that it would cost Carroll $2.7 million to repair reputational damage caused by Trump.
Jury rounded this off to $3Million and yes, its his big mouth and braggadocio which cost him the $3M. Of course it going to be appealed and hope the number does not get busted down. Will be in NYC and they hate him there.

https://gizmodo.com/truth-social-tru...oll-1850420825
Old 05-10-2023, 08:52 AM

I have no doubt this will be appealed. Whether the jury award will be further reduced is another matter.

I hope this clears the deck for other candidates in 2024 to pursue the nomination for the Repubs. Whether that will actually happen is another matter.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I have no doubt this will be appealed. Whether the jury award will be further reduced is another matter.

I hope this clears the deck for other candidates in 2024 to pursue the nomination for the Repubs. Whether that will actually happen is another matter.
Fortunately this seems to be the last straw for the few remaining Trumpers I work with, but I have been working on them for awhile. Of course a couple are still blowing the "baseless witch-hunt" horn.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I am betting against the Trump campaign folding. He is set to participate in a CNN town hall meeting and taking direct questions. If the GOP stops supporting his candidacy, he is sure to start a third party. For Trump, its never about politics, but the money. A third party, not an independent run will give him another cash cow. And who will go up against him and it needs to be a political block. Even Mitch was muted yesterday.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I am betting against the Trump campaign folding. He is set to participate in a CNN town hall meeting and taking direct questions. If the GOP stops supporting his candidacy, he is sure to start a third party. For Trump, its never about politics, but the money. A third party, not an independent run will give him another cash cow. And who will go up against him and it needs to be a political block. Even Mitch was muted yesterday.
My gut says this would be a good thing.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
My gut says this would be a good thing.
But extremely messy for the GOP and worse for the country because the next general election will lead to riots. The MAGA crowd will accept only a Trump victory and the Freedumb caucus with control of the House can and will run interference on behalf of Trump.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:44 AM

The Dems had better be getting a plan B candidate lined up. In case Trump is out and another is in. Biden is already weak and somebody else may be needed. Harris IMHO is not the one to be counting on.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:52 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

While I agree that it will be appealed, there's little chance of success of winning an appeal for a case in which the defendant offered no defense.

As for the other GOP candidates, if Trump doesn't get the nomination, he will do all that he can to destroy the GOP for being "disloyal" to him.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
While I agree that it will be appealed, there's little chance of success of winning an appeal for a case in which the defendant offered no defense.

As for the other GOP candidates, if Trump doesn't get the nomination, he will do all that he can to destroy the GOP for being "disloyal" to him.
Quote:
The Trump campaign has already poll-tested many of the allegations against Trump among Republican primary voters, and found they did not move the needle, and that Republican primary voters generally did not believe the allegations, according to two advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal data and strategy.

Trump’s advisers have long viewed his challenges with winning over female voters with college degrees as a significant problem, but much of his strategy so far has centered on vanquishing Republican rivals in a primary, not winning a general election.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cans-reaction/