Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Lot's of it on the House floor today. The left just can't stop calling people who don't support their view Nazis, killers, and every other lefty favorite.
Yeah. Lord knows no one on the right would ever dream of calling someone a Nazi. Why, that wouldn't be moral.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-20-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Area Man

I think to say that politicians overuse such words as "vitriol" or phrases like "job killing" would be "disingenuos".

Dave
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
Unlike the rest of you mugs, I try to avoid listening to and reading the ever present political white noise that passes for news these days
Bet you don't watch wrasslin' either!!!

Chas
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Ha! I haven't keep up with the wrasslin' for about 40 years.

I'll tell you what, missing a Saturday morning viewing of the AWA would ruin your whole weekend when I was a kid, though.

There was some similar sounding "vitriol" being spewed there also. Now that I think about it, the similarities were frighteningly similar in some regard. They even had foaming at the mouth minions that would defend to the death their favorites virtue and rightness despite the obvious vice and wrongness.

Kinda like here
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bet you don't watch wrasslin' either!!!

Chas
Wrasslin' was show business, but wrestlers were ugly. And it has been famously said that politics is show business for ugly people.

Therefore, by the transitive property, wrasslin' = politics.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you what, missing a Saturday morning viewing of the AWA would ruin your whole weekend when I was a kid, though.

There was some similar sounding "vitriol" being spewed there also. Now that I think about it, the similarities were frighteningly similar in some regard. They even had foaming at the mouth minions that would defend to the death their favorites virtue and rightness despite the obvious vice and wrongness.

Kinda like here
We had "All Star Wrasslin" around here, us kid wouldn't miss it for the world. Bunch of fat guys kinda looked like me only they had hair, my all time favorite "hero" was a black guy who called himself "Porkchop Jones".

The bad guys were always cheating, poor dumb blind ref who musta just got fired by the SEC couldn't catch 'em to save his life.

Now the great thing about Porkchop was the every week, the bad guys would always stoop to low as to pull a slapper, or some knucks, or get a folding chair, sneak up behind him and hit him it the head. Mr. ex-SEC never did catch on.

And bashin' Porkchop in the head was like givin' him an eight ball of coke. He'd start struttin' around the ring, then he'd start grabbin' the bad guys and bouncin' their fat asses off of the floor, the height of entertainment.

The only times there was any realism at all was when some drunken peckerwood would come charging out of the stands to make things right.

Pretty much sums up the current political situation, 'cept with wrasslin' it only cost 5 bux to get in the door, and you can leave at any time.

We're on the same page.

Chas
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:

Kinda like here
I mentioned rasslin in another thread recently. When I was a kid, it was a true morality play - almost like the westerns with their white hats and black hats. No question about who the bad guys were and who the good guys were - depending on what town you were in. And there was plenty of posturing in the pre-match festivities. Unlike our current politics however, when the rasslin was over and the crowd was gone, they all had a beer or six together.

It always struck me as funny that they regularly ran an ad for the Local Ballet Company during the matches. Finally figured out that it made sense, because of the intricate choreography that was taking place inside the ropes.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Wrasslin' was show business, but wrestlers were ugly. And it has been famously said that politics is show business for ugly people.

Therefore, by the transitive property, wrasslin' = politics.
Gotta admit, "Handsome" Harley Race woulda looked a lot better in a three piece suit than in speedo's and wearin' a belt buckle that woulda shocked a Texan.

I will admit, those wrasslers were pretty good athletes for a bunch of fat guys. If I did a belly flop off of the top rope, even when I weighed 135, it would have killed me.

Chas
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I still remember a few names: Bruno Sammartino, Argentina Apollo and Haystacks Calhoun.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I mentioned rasslin in another thread recently. When I was a kid, it was a true morality play - almost like the westerns with their white hats and black hats. No question about who the bad guys were and who the good guys were - depending on what town you were in. And there was plenty of posturing in the pre-match festivities. Unlike our current politics however, when the rasslin was over and the crowd was gone, they all had a beer or six together.

It always struck me as funny that they regularly ran an ad for the Local Ballet Company during the matches. Finally figured out that it made sense, because of the intricate choreography that was taking place inside the ropes.

Regards,

D-Ray
I guess some fat guy in tights and wearing one of those "Pulp Fiction" zipper head masks never really had a shot at the NYCB.

Chas