Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Government Workers Now Outnumber Manufacturing Workers by 9,977,000

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...orkers-9977000

The United States lost 9,000 manufacturing jobs in October while gaining 19,000 jobs in government, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Government employment grew from 22,216,000 in September to 22,235,000 in October, according to BLS, while manufacturing jobs dropped from 12,267,000 to 12,258,000.

The 22,235,000 employed by government in the United States now outnumber the 12,258,000 employed in manufacturing by 9,977,000.

Over the past year—from October 2015 to October 2016—manufacturing employment fell by 53,000, declining from 12,311,000 to 12,258,000. During the same period, government employment climbed 208,000, rising from 22,027,000 to 22,235,000.

A parting gift from the current administration. This is a trend that is absolutely unsustainable.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Persona non grata

We need more government jobs, not less.

We are at a 50 year low in the ratio of government jobs to the overall population.

Yes, I pulled that 50 year low figure out of my ass, but I'll bet it's pretty close to reality.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 11-08-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
We need more government jobs, not less.

We are at a 50 year low in the ratio of government jobs to the overall population.

Yes, I pulled that 50 year low figure out of my ass, but I'll bet it's pretty close to reality.
Economic growth is flat, we're replacing manufacturing jobs, and higher paying jobs in general with lower wage jobs...

...so how is it that we can afford expanding gov't jobs?

Also, government is immune to inefficiencies that, for example, advancing technology might offer to managing labor costs? We just need "more gov't jobs " because we're at a 50 year low, regardless of the work that might or might now be available? Sounds like you want to bring back the secretarial pool with all the typewriters?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Economic growth is flat, we're replacing manufacturing jobs, and higher paying jobs in general with lower wage jobs...

Also, government is immune to inefficiencies that, for example, advancing technology might offer to managing labor costs? We just need "more gov't jobs " because we're at a 50 year low, regardless of the work that might or might now be available? Sounds like you want to bring back the secretarial pool with all the typewriters?
Ya gotta replace jobs lost with something.

We now have robotics that eliminate many of the manufacturing jobs.

We are at an all time high in worker productivity.

We really don't need more than about 15-20 man hours per available worker to fulfill all of societies needs. Your options are:

A. Cut workers hours down to that

B. Put a whole shitload of people on the dole.

C. Put a whole shitload of people into government jobs.

D. Or just marginalize them and let them starve, in which case they will eventually revolt and kill everyone in the ruling class.

What's it gonna be?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:

It is a huge dilemma. Government jobs offer reasonable salaries, benefits, and better security than what is generally available in the private sector.
However we must be wary of government ballooning.

How do we strike a balance is key and not the number of jobs in itself.

As to manufacturing jobs we have sold out so much to the Chinese that I
do not see too much hope there.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Whell this kind of post worked for the old GOP that Ryan, Kemp, and Reagan sort of represent. The old GOP that is dead I think.
Replaced by something less attractive if you ask me.

Who are you talking to now?

I was hired during the Bush administration so why don't you email him with your complaints.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Persona non grata

Yep, that figure I pulled out of my ass wasn't that far off.

http://www.businessinsider.com/perce...ernment-2012-7

Quote:
In fact, the percentage of Americans who work for the government has shrunk sharply in recent years--so much so that a smaller percentage of Americans now work for the government than at any time since 1987.
And that's just for civilian employment. if you add in the Military, which is government employment also, I'd say I was probably right on the money.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Whell this kind of post worked for the old GOP that Ryan, Kemp, and Reagan sort of represent. The old GOP that is dead I think.
Replaced by something less attractive if you ask me.

Who are you talking to now?

I was hired during the Bush administration so why don't you email him with your complaints.
No substantive response to the content of the post, huh?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
No substantive response to the content of the post, huh?
Government employment has exploded under Republican administrations is my point.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Government employment has exploded under Republican administrations is my point.
In Florida, when Jeb Bush took over he cut the number of FDOT's employees by 25% over a five year period.

At the same time he increased our "consultant" budget astronomically so that we could hire private firms to do what we used to do in house. Our overall expenditures ballooned. We had so much consultant money we had to have special meetings to try to brainstorm how we were going to spend it all.

We were also required to report all money spent for "consulting" under "production". That way our "productivity" went way up. It was such a fucking scam.