Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2024, 11:28 AM

Need the perspective of a mental health professional with a deity.

Hey Folks, I'm interested to see if anyone can help me understand something that seems odd to me. More religion, not so much political, but this is the forum that has "religion" in the heading.

The question came up as a result of having my kid assessed for ADD some years back. Our primary care provider referred us to the largest provider of mental health services in our region, which happens to be a Christian organization. While I reject the idea of ADD/ADHD as a mental health concern, as opposed to a regular health concern, (neurodivergence is not equivalent to mental illness), that's a separate question.

One of the questions during the assessment was, "Any delusional behavior; hearing voices, etc.?" To which I responded, "Do you mean something like thinking a deity is attempting to communicate his will, and you then have to discern his intent and act upon it?" "No, not that, or any other form of delusional behavior."

As far as I'm concerned, an adult with an invisible friend who's will he obeys is not qualified to diagnose anyone else as delusional. Period.

So the question I'm asking is, how is it that within the mental health profession, having an invisible friend is not automatic grounds for recusal as relates to diagnosing delusion? Upon what grounds do they get a pass? How is it not the same thing? If the interviewer is going down the check list, and doesn't say, "Wait a minute, I have to answer 'Yes' to these questions, looks like I just diagnosed myself.", that seems not only unprofessional, but dangerous.

If there are any mental health professionals who have relationships with deities, I'd appreciate some clarification. I don't expect to agree, just to understand the perspective.

Thanks

Last edited by wyceeric; 02-10-2024 at 11:35 AM.