Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Admin

Cannabis Legalization

"‘Reefer Madness’: Fox News has a freakout as Biden announces marijuana pardons for thousands"

"President Joe Biden in a major action on Thursday announced he is pardoning thousands of Americans convicted of simple possession of marijuana, which is being seen as a major move toward federal decriminalization. Fox News is calling it a “blunt move” and “REEFER MADNESS,” and it is currently the right wing website‘s top story:

“As I’ve said before, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana,” President Biden announced, as Axios reported. “Today, I’m taking steps to end our failed approach.”

“I’m pardoning all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession. There are thousands of people who were previously convicted of simple possession who may be denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities as a result. My pardon will remove this burden,” the President declared in an unexpected move."

https://www.rawstory.com/reefer-madn...ing-marijuana/

Thank you, Mr. President.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 PM

The Libertarians kinda sorta endorse it, with lots of "buts", lol. They can't just come out and praise Biden, of course.

https://reason.com/2022/10/06/bidens...modest-impact/
Old 10-08-2022, 04:21 PM

Stumbled on this today. True? Dunno, but a great story.

In the 60s, "establishment" types liked Louis Armstrong for being "America's Goodwill Ambassador". They didn't know that Armstrong was a lifelong pot smoker. He called it his "antidote to racism".Richard Nixon particularly was friends with Satchmo.

Once in 1959, Vice President Nixon had just landed at NY's Idyllwild Airport, when his aides mentioned Louis Armstrong had just landed at another gate. It would be a great photo-op for Nixon to greet Armstrong back home to America.

Louis had just arrived from Kingston, Jamaica. He had 3 pounds of high quality pot in his carry-on. He was wondering how he was going to sneak it through customs, when there was the Vice President at the Gate!

" Hi'ya Satchmo! Welcome home! Here, let me carry that bag for you!"
Armstrong said he had the easiest time though customs that he ever had.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Stumbled on this today. True? Dunno, but a great story.

In the 60s, "establishment" types liked Louis Armstrong for being "America's Goodwill Ambassador". They didn't know that Armstrong was a lifelong pot smoker. He called it his "antidote to racism".Richard Nixon particularly was friends with Satchmo.

Once in 1959, Vice President Nixon had just landed at NY's Idyllwild Airport, when his aides mentioned Louis Armstrong had just landed at another gate. It would be a great photo-op for Nixon to greet Armstrong back home to America.

Louis had just arrived from Kingston, Jamaica. He had 3 pounds of high quality pot in his carry-on. He was wondering how he was going to sneak it through customs, when there was the Vice President at the Gate!

" Hi'ya Satchmo! Welcome home! Here, let me carry that bag for you!"
Armstrong said he had the easiest time though customs that he ever had.
If only Grace Slick had gotten away with her plan to spike the punchbowl at Tricia Nixon's sorority party with some LSD 25. s/

Last edited by bobabode; 11-27-2023 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:54 PM
Admin

'Congress sends first weed bill to Biden'

"The Senate passed a bill designed to expand medical marijuana research on Wednesday by unanimous consent.

Passage of the legislation, which is sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) in their respective chambers, signaled a new era in federal cannabis policy: It’s the first standalone marijuana-related bill approved by both chambers of Congress. The House passed the bill in July, also by unanimous consent.

The bill, which will make it easier for scientists to conduct medical marijuana research and protect doctors who discuss the benefits and drawbacks of using the drug with patients, now heads to President Joe Biden’s desk." Politico

cont. below
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...b977786dc4a086
Old 04-03-2023, 08:27 PM
Admin

North Carolina

"Seven Democratic lawmakers in North Carolina are sponsoring a bill that would legalize recreational cannabis in the state, and expunge past marijuana-related offenses.

The legislation, which was introduced in the state Senate last week, follows another proposal in the state to legalize medical cannabis.

If it were to pass, the recreational pot bill would legalize marijuana for adults aged 21 and older, and also “enact a 20% state tax on the sale [of marijuana], and municipalities would be able to enact another 3% tax,” according to local news station WSOC." HighTimes
https://hightimes.com/news/weed-lega...orth-carolina/
Old 04-03-2023, 11:33 PM

Diehard Prohibitionist Mitch McConnell's State Just Became the 38th To Approve Medical Marijuana
https://reason.com/2023/04/03/diehar...cal-marijuana/
Old 04-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Admin

April 29 (UPI) -- The Minnesota state Senate voted to approve marijuana legalization in a historic vote held Friday, paving the way for recreational sales in the state.

The bill passed 34-33 along party lines, with all Democrats voting in favor of the law and all Republicans voting against it. The state House, also controlled by Democrats, passed its marijuana legalization measure on Tuesday.

While both bills allow adults over 21 to purchase up to two ounces of cannabis for recreational use, they have inconsistencies on tax issues and the status of marijuana possession at private residences.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...96e29ebf&ei=15
Old 04-29-2023, 05:43 PM

I believe that the legal conflict betwees states and the Feds creates a problem with legalizing Marijuana. May be legal in some states but the Feds still consider MJ a Schedule I controlled substance.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF12270
Old 04-29-2023, 06:37 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I believe that the legal conflict betwees states and the Feds creates a problem with legalizing Marijuana. May be legal in some states but the Feds still consider MJ a Schedule I controlled substance.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF12270
Not really. If Congress passes a bill to legalize weed for recreational use and the president signs it, it's the law of the land. Be interesting to watch the god-fearing conservatives here in Texas heads spin. Can hear it now. Our states' rights are being trampled once again! Time to secede! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9D87&FORM=VIRE

Insert big shit eating grin emoji here.

Last edited by nailer; 04-29-2023 at 09:52 PM.