Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM

He had the guts to pull the trigger on the probability of where to find Bin Laden and to take him out.
That was huge!

Carl
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I'm not looking at polls. I'm looking at Obama's record. He's weak and I'm sick of being disappointed by him. I don't feel like signing a petition that I know won't do any good. That puts me in the position of begging a weakling to do something that I know good and well he hasn't got the stones to do.
"My way or the Highway", is there a country song with that title? I bet you could find us a YouTube video.

I am convinced that this decision will have far reaching ramifications, for his Presidency, the party and the upcoming elections, and the SCOTUS. After all it is a lifetime appointment. So with the petition, we are helping to ease the decision making process.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
He had the guts to take care of Scalia.

And Trump needs to cover his six.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...ald-trump-next
Took care of Scalia?

According to what I've read Scalia was 5 foot 7 inches tall, and just looking at him, I say he weighed in close to 300 lbs. And he was going to turn 80 next month. It's amazing that fat little Guinea lasted as long as he did before dying of a heart attack.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He's definitely got the stones to do it, particularly in his last year when he has no more f*cks to give. OTOH, I think the Democrats are strategizing as to what strategy will play best in the upcoming election. If they think this will help them win the election, it's a win-win. If they play their cards right, they win the Presidency, possibly the Senate and then would be able to appoint a justice more liberal than they otherwise could.

At this point in DC, everything being done by anybody (including the GOP in this instance) is with an eye on the November election.
This too, it is a blessing this "how conservative can you be" is when it comes to elections on a national level.

Carl
Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
He had the guts to pull the trigger on the probability of where to find Bin Laden and to take him out.
That was huge!

Carl
Do you really think we've been told the whole story on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3COsYaJ47o

What I do know is that he caved to the Insurance companies, the Drug companies, and the Republicans on Health Care, which is why we're stuck with that abortion known as Obamacare instead of Medicare for all.

In 2008 we elected him President and gave him majorities in both houses of congress. And he managed to squander that plus we lost about a dozen state house and legislatures to boot.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-15-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM

He may have tried harder than he should have in reaching across the aisle, letting the goppers kick sand in his face.

Carl
Old 02-15-2016, 11:21 AM

Let's say Obama does make an recess appointment. McConnell & Co. go berserk, challenge the constitutionality and the case goes to the Supreme Court. The newly appointed justice must be recused and the vote is a tie. This could get pretty ugly and totally disrupt the upcoming elections. We could be looking at a serious political divide unlike say, Obamacare. A single person or an entity can turn the country upside down.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Let's say Obama does make an recess appointment. McConnell & Co. go berserk, challenge the constitutionality and the case goes to the Supreme Court. The newly appointed justice must be recused and the vote is a tie. This could get pretty ugly and totally disrupt the upcoming elections. We could be looking at a serious political divide unlike say, Obamacare. A single person or an entity can turn the country upside down.
I guess thats as good an excuse as any for Obama to fold with the winning hand he has been delt.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:37 AM

Obama may be playing the long game again...pick someone so popular and likeable that an unbalanced opposition by the GOP makes them looks so bad before the election that the Dems win or the GOP simply capitulates and gives him the ratification.

Although if I was Obama I would put a real progressive or someone like Holder in right now, and gamble that the Dems win, and his nominee eventually gets ratified two years later. That is the longer game and that is what I would do if I was him.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Persona non grata

Now this looks like a good play.

I would cut Obama some slack on passing up the recess appointment if he makes this one.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-nominee.html

Quote:
The GOP’s Worst Nightmare SCOTUS Nominee
Tino Cuellar. California judge. Mexican-American. Harvard. Yale. Stanford. How many Latino votes you think the GOP’d get if they block him?