Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Come out to California, Pete. The San Diego Fwy as it enters LA county from the south is ten lanes on each side. I can't wait until they co opt the HOV lanes to a light rail system, right up the middle.

I can't even fathom that. What do ya do if you have to pull over an puke?

I used to live in Oxnard back in the 60's... was a great time to be in California..., but don't think they had any of this back then. I remember they did have one of those big shiny new "super" markets tho.....
Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM

I had to go to "Little Russia" (Columbia, MO) the other day, which required driving 20 miles on I70. It was almost more than I could bear.

I don't know how you people can stand living in those cities.

Chas
Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Probably, and I'd hate to see cars go completely.

I'll have to see what show it is and link it. It's for inner cities, the thing I saw was DC particularly.

Pete
Caltech was doing some work along those lines. IIRC they embedded a cable in the pavement for the vehicles to follow and once you left the freeway the vehicle would revert to driver control for local travel. Cool stuff and now that we have the computing power to accomplish it, it's not too farfetched. I dunno if I've got enough years left in me to see it but in 50 or 100 years?

Big cities have gotten into light rail and that seems to be an efficient way of moving people. Maybe have pods for people where the rail ends? All we are limited by is our imaginations and economics.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Smart pods, self driving, very close to being possible. I hope we live long enough to see some of this stuff.

Pete
I have a 90 mile round trip commute

I would love to just lay down in the back seat and sleep on the way to and from work

just imagine the reduction in stress levels

the I-15 is turning me into old man lol
Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I had to go to "Little Russia" (Columbia, MO) the other day, which required driving 20 miles on I70. It was almost more than I could bear.

Chas
I generally avoid that stretch of highway. Booneville has a killer speed trap. Well, at least they have very attentive troopers....
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post

I can't even fathom that. What do ya do if you have to pull over an puke?

I used to live in Oxnard back in the 60's... was a great time to be in California..., but don't think they had any of this back then. I remember they did have one of those big shiny new "super" markets tho.....
Tell the arresting officer that, "My wife thinks I'm having fun."

Chas
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
Isn't Columbia where they put up a bust of Rush Limpballs?

I moved outta LA county almost thirty years ago. Left Redondo Beach for Costa Mesa. Hell, I lived up in Silverado Cyn for four years, nearest supermarket was a good fifteen miles away and you could actually see the Milky Way at night. Meanwhile me and Patty are planning our escape, Grant's Pass, Oregon is more my speed. The Rogue River runs right through town. Patty likes Portlandia...hmmmm.
MPHolland would be right across the mighty Columbia river. Too bad he's a scotch drinker...

Last edited by bobabode; 11-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I generally avoid that stretch of highway. Booneville has a killer speed trap. Well, at least they have very attentive troopers....
Don't go through Booneville, I get on/off at the 179 junction.

The only thing in Booneville that interests me is the CB shop. The old guy who owns it is a master electronics tech, and he works on vacuum tube equipment. He can fix 'em, and fix 'em right...even if someone else got in there first.

It's great having someone like that in driving distance.

Chas
Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Booneville, is that where Boone's Farm is?

Carl
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Isn't Columbia where they put up a bust of Rush Limpballs?

I moved outta LA county almost thirty years ago. Left Redondo Beach for Costa Mesa. Hell, I lived up in Silverado Cyn for four years, nearest supermarket was a good fifteen miles away and you could actually see the Milky Way at night. Meanwhile me and Patty are planning our escape, Grant's Pass, Oregon is more my speed. The Rogue River runs right through town. Patty likes Portlandia...hmmmm.
MPHolland would be right across the mighty Columbia river. Too bad he's a scotch drinker...
Naw, that's in Jeff City, the state capitol.

I don't like going there either, but it's way better than Little Russia.

Chas