Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM

My ATM Card Went To Northern Ireland Without Me

Be careful with your atm cards...mine was hacked yesterday. Someone withdrew money from my checking account in Belfast, GB (as it said on my online account). It would have been nice if it was me there in Belfast but alas no.

It had to have taken place in only 4 areas and two of those are off base so I have narrowed it down to the ATM at the local branch here in town or the AM/PM gas station. I took some money out the other day at the bank and now I remember that there was a guy (or kid) hanging out in front of a pawn shop right next to the ATM ( I went inside to check out this NAD 7000 receiver that has been there for three months). For some reason he sticks out in my mind...but he could be completely innocent of course.

I do not know how they did it. I was shocked. And stunned as Monty Python would say...or was that the Rutles....

both the ATM near the pawn shop and the AM/PM pay at the pump station eat your cards while you do your transaction, but the gas station device spits it right back out once you insert it.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Be careful with your atm cards...mine was hacked yesterday. Someone withdrew money from my checking account in Belfast, GB (as it said on my online account). It would have been nice if it was me there in Belfast but alas no.

It had to have taken place in only 4 areas and two of those are off base so I have narrowed it down to the ATM at the local branch here in town or the AM/PM gas station. I took some money out the other day at the bank and now I remember that there was a guy (or kid) hanging out in front of a pawn shop right next to the ATM ( I went inside to check out this NAD 7000 receiver that has been there for three months). For some reason he sticks out in my mind...but he could be completely innocent of course.

I do not know how they did it. I was shocked. And stunned as Monty Python would say...or was that the Rutles....

both the ATM near the pawn shop and the AM/PM pay at the pump station eat your cards while you do your transaction, but the gas station device spits it right back out once you insert it.
That sucks.

All this technology in convenient as Hell, but it's also dangerous.

I try to use my plastic as little as possible. When I withdraw cash I always do the max of $300, so as to keep my transactions at a minimum, and I always try to keep at least $500 in cash handy so I can do most of my purchases with cash. I don't understand people that say they are afraid to carry cash. With me, it's just the opposite. I'm afraid not to have cash because I don't like using plastic.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
That sucks.

All this technology in convenient as Hell, but it's also dangerous.

I try to use my plastic as little as possible. When I withdraw cash I always do the max of $300, so as to keep my transactions at a minimum, and I always try to keep at least $500 in cash handy so I can do most of my purchases with cash. I don't understand people that say they are afraid to carry cash. With me, it's just the opposite. I'm afraid not to have cash because I don't like using plastic.
I hear you...I always felt safer with this because it is not a credit card...no Visa or MC....
just a plain ATM that you can use a few places but not as many as the credit card ATM check/debit cards. I still do not know how they could have done it...I heard they use glue to somehow make the keys of an ATM stick so you think it malfunctions, and when you walk away or go tell the bank manager they come up and complete the theft with your card in the machine but this did not happen in my case.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Ready

You're not saying you lost the physical card, right?

So they are basically just working with your number. An ATM you used may have been hacked to record and regurgitate numbers/pins. I've heard of this being done with gas pumps--they replace the proper card acceptance hardware with some of their own--but not with ATMs. But I haven't heard everything.

Or maybe somewhere else in the financial chain has been hacked, and it has no direct connection to the point of use at all.

I assume your bank is holding you harmless?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
You're not saying you lost the physical card, right?

So they are basically just working with your number. An ATM you used may have been hacked to record and regurgitate numbers/pins. I've heard of this being done with gas pumps--they replace the proper card acceptance hardware with some of their own--but not with ATMs. But I haven't heard everything.

Or maybe somewhere else in the financial chain has been hacked, and it has no direct connection to the point of use at all.

I assume your bank is holding you harmless?
Yes they are going to reinstate the funds but it will take 10 days, so it is a minor headache....and they of course are sending a new card. No I never lost my ATM card. My wife has one that can access the account, but they told me that one was ok...the bank could see that it came off of my ATM card "clone" or hack.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Admin

The US banks need to get off their asses and go to the EU standard in this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 PM

The Common Access Card (CAC) used by the military for network access is a chip and pin card.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Area Man

Someone once ran up $1,400 at an "adult novelty" store in London, on my credit card. Must have been one hell of a party?

Fortunately, Navy Federal caught it and removed the charge from my account. Whew!

Dave
Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 AM
Resident octogenarian

We were told that they have devices now that can 'read' your card from a distance. Whether or not this is tru all our cards have aluminized slip on holders.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

The cops busted some very smart dudes here in Phoenix who were sitting in front of gas stations in a van with lots of sophisticated electronic gear. They were able to intercept & descramble all of the info that you enter + everything on the card when the ATM sent the info to the main computer by wireless signal. I never use wireless teller machines anymore.