Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wouldn't call creating shortages with our current energy supplies until the prices on them rise as to the level of green energy prices an "incentive".

But I would call it "coercion".

Now I can see the big picture, and I'm all in favor of green energy. But I'm not in favor of forcing the issue, especially in today's economic climate.

Give it some time, it will come of age.

Chas
While we're "giving it time" the Europeans and the Chinese are forging ahead. We're forfeiting our opportunity to be anything other than the paying customers of foreign corporations.

John
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
While we're "giving it time" the Europeans and the Chinese are forging ahead. We're forfeiting our opportunity to be anything other than the paying customers of foreign corporations.

John
Not to argue with you (but I thought I just did, or at least are fixin' to), don't the Europeans use way more Nuke power than we do, and the Chinese...well, how green can you get?

No doubt they'll be selling us 3nd rate solar panels with the installation instructions in pidgin Inglish (position panel collector where sky exposure to sunlight. Secure to fastener supplied with.).

But you have a point about foreign corporations. I'll take a multinational any day.

Take care,

Chas
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not to argue with you (but I thought I just did, or at least are fixin' to), don't the Europeans use way more Nuke power than we do, and the Chinese...well, how green can you get?

No doubt they'll be selling us 3nd rate solar panels with the installation instructions in pidgin Inglish (position panel collector where sky exposure to sunlight. Secure to fastener supplied with.).

But you have a point about foreign corporations. I'll take a multinational any day.

Take care,

Chas
Yes, I think the Europeans use more nukes than we do but that's got nothing to do with the fact that Europe is also where all the progress is being made in photovoltaics , wind and tidal energy production. To the extent that we're doing anything with alternative energy, we're already getting most of the hardware from overseas.

Also, China may not be "green" but they've made a national commitment to becoming the leader in new technologies, both to become energy independent and to dominate the world market in those technologies.

John
Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think the Europeans use more nukes than we do but that's got nothing to do with the fact that Europe is also where all the progress is being made in photovoltaics , wind and tidal energy production. To the extent that we're doing anything with alternative energy, we're already getting most of the hardware from overseas.

Also, China may not be "green" but they've made a national commitment to becoming the leader in new technologies, both to become energy independent and to dominate the world market in those technologies.

John
It'll happen. But we still needed the horse and wagon to haul the engine to the automobile factory. At first.

Chas
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
While we're "giving it time" (green energy) the Europeans and the Chinese are forging ahead. We're forfeiting our opportunity to be anything other than the paying customers of foreign corporations.

John
There's a considerable downside to 'green' energy, it depends on too many variables to be reliable. Looking at wind turbines, after taking into account building costs, material costs and increasing maintenance costs until they have to be replaced, how green are they? When the wind blows slow they don't work and in high wind, especially if it's gusty, they have to shut down.

Accepting that newspapers love bad news (scary headlines sell more papers) most say we're heading for a record hot summer. Already in Scotland a lot of reservoirs are low, and that reduces available hydro power. Our conventional power stations don't produce enough to cover the shortfall (this is why we're buying electricity from France) and the green lobby are doing their level best to stop planning permission being given for new nuclear power stations on safety grounds. Like them or not, they have a point. Until we discover a reliable and safe way to dispose of nuclear waste, how much sense does it make to produce more of it?