Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Some people are lucky enough to find a niche and get to work happily into old age.

At my first professional job there was a guy like that. He was an old Italian machinist and came in a few days a week to sharpen tools in the machine shop. Everyone loved him and he was a treasure to talk to.

The company was finally forced to make him retire because of some legal or contractual obligation such as insurance. I think the event happened around his 70th or 80th birthday.

I bumped into him a few years later at K-Mart. He had just bought some fishing worms and was fixing to go fishing. I asked him what he was up to and luckily the local high school was letting him sharpen tools for their machine and wood shops.

If a man finds a groove like that that makes him happy then more power to him.
Probably 70. That's the limit set at my company.

And, yes, absolutely! If someone loves what they do and CHOOSES to keep going so long as they are able, GREAT!

It's when we try to create societal shame and pressure through economic fiat to compel people to work into old age, that I believe we cross a line. I believe it's not only unjust, I believe it's cruel and something we as a nation should be ashamed of, for even having the thought that old folks are "freeloaders". They've done their bit, leave them alone. If you're upset because it's costing you money, tough shit for you. Go cry to your mommy, 'cuz I don't care.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Retirement is overrated.
I will have that on continuous loop playing every night while I sleep, till I believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post

SS is not part of the Federal budget so if the trust fund has been raided it is called theft. Therefore, all the people involved in the stealing of funds, from the trust, should be arrested, tried, and if convicted serve very long prison sentences. That is what would have happened to me if I had deceitfully removed funds from my fathers revocable trust.

Agreed. Though it will NEVER happen. Both parties are up to their eyeballs in it. It's a double whammy too - they raised spending based on ss trust fund money. Now not only do they have to pay it back (kinda) they also have a big hole in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My Dad felt the same. Starting work at age 14 and retiring at 68, he was worried that he would feel useless and lost without a job.

That lasted about two days.

Dave
Same with my dad. I never saw him actually upset until just before retirement but it sure wore off quick.

Pete
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Even though I worked until 73 I was never this busy until retirement. Finally slowing down thanks to arthritis and failing eyesight.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I will have that on continuous loop playing every night while I sleep, till I believe it!
Pete
Sheesh, I guess my sarcasm was lost on a few of you. I'll try to remember to post a smiley for the humorless among you.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We're having a sarcasm war too?

Because my dad never complained and almost never called in sick etc I thought that as you got older you didn't mind work as much. I was sold a false bill of goods!!

Pete