Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
They weren't too fond of blacks having their freedom or women voting either. Things change, -5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And, contrary to popular belief, not every change is for the worse. In fact most are for the better. Especially when the change is for the common good.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Considering how long it took for women's suffrage the LGBT community has achieved recognition of their rights rather quicly so we seem to be improving as a society.
Indeed all and all this country has move to change a lot of things very fast considering the oppression prior.

But I must say where is the moral compass. Does anyone know where it's at?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Indeed all and all this country has move to change a lot of things very fast considering the oppression prior.

It moves too, thankfully.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I know exactly where mine is, why have you lost yours?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I know exactly where mine is, why have you lost yours?
Society
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Society
And society is merely a gathering of individuals, is it not?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Ready

Actually I think that was a cogent observation. Hitler and the Nazis were the most successful criminal organization of all time, taking over an entire great power, and for a time establishing powerful positions in a number of others. By which I don't mean that they conquered other states, but that they to various degrees introduced Nazism and Nazi morality into them.

Criminal gangs are everywhere, of course, but the unprecedented accomplishments of the Hitlerites demand explanation. And I don't mean simply his seizure of power in Germany (do not believe the misconception that he was 'elected.') I mean the way he succeeded in corrupting Germans by the millions. They weren't all just going along out of fear, you know. A big percentage bought into whole brutal power trip, at least while things seemed to be going well....
Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Actually I think that was a cogent observation. Hitler and the Nazis were the most successful criminal organization of all time, taking over an entire great power, and for a time establishing powerful positions in a number of others. By which I don't mean that they conquered other states, but that they to various degrees introduced Nazism and Nazi morality into them.

Criminal gangs are everywhere, of course, but the unprecedented accomplishments of the Hitlerites demand explanation. And I don't mean simply his seizure of power in Germany (do not believe the misconception that he was 'elected.') I mean the way he succeeded in corrupting Germans by the millions. They weren't all just going along out of fear, you know. A big percentage bought into whole brutal power trip, at least while things seemed to be going well....
Thanks that was very good.

Throughout history man has moved the moral compass and justified it every time.
Again I'm not religios but seems to me when it's abandoned man justifying leads to immoral behavior.
Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Actually I think that was a cogent observation. Hitler and the Nazis were the most successful criminal organization of all time...
Almost any comparison to Hitler is a stupid comparison, particularly when comparing the evolution of our nation's moral compass (e.g., gay rights) to a man who systematically murdered untold thousands of homosexuals. I think "ignorant" characterizes his comment more than "cogent" does.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Almost any comparison to Hitler is a stupid comparison, particularly when comparing the evolution of our nation's moral compass (e.g., gay rights) to a man who systematically murdered untold thousands of homosexuals. I think "ignorant" characterizes his comment more than "cogent" does.
I see your point.

I was just running with the 'Hitler changed morality' concept, and rather overlooked the idea that 'what's going on in the US now is like the way Hitler changed morality in Germany.' The latter claim is too weird for me to grasp it easily, I guess.

However, the thing may be a good key for getting into the head of those persecution-complex Christians who hate and fear the change that is happening. It's often a good exercise to take something like that and ask "what does it take to believe that?"
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see your point.

I was just running with the 'Hitler changed morality' concept, and rather overlooked the idea that 'what's going on in the US now is like the way Hitler changed morality in Germany.' The latter claim is too weird for me to grasp it easily, I guess.

However, the thing may be a good key for getting into the head of those persecution-complex Christians who hate and fear the change that is happening. It's often a good exercise to take something like that and ask "what does it take to believe that?"
Thats because you were paying attention. finn must think its a gay rights thread.

Last edited by 4-2-7; 02-24-2014 at 09:38 PM.