Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Area Man

This where my job is.

It's very close to the Atlantic Ocean.

I have a Sister who lives here, and I promised my parents, years ago, that I would stay here and "Keep an eye on her.". Seems kind of silly, but..............

As I've lived in the same house for twenty years, the payments are much lower than they would be if I moved and bought a new place.

I also actually like the diversity. I don't know why, really. But when I go to Ohio and visit relatives in Newton Falls, which is about as un-diverse as it gets, it just feels kind of creepy----everyone is the same. Boring as Hell.

There's LOTS to do here. Concerts, car shows, air shows, thrift stores and flea markets brimming with bin after bin of vinyl, festivals of all sorts and we still actually have some "Brick and Mortar" Audio shops believe it or not.

So, I thnk I'll stay.

Or, I could go back to Newton Falls, apply for foodstamps, rent a trailer, subsidize my welfare check by selling dope, and sit in the "Chit Chat Lounge" slowly drinking myself to death. At least it's 98.9% white and wouldn't have to look at a bunch of..................uh, naw think I'll stay here.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-18-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

I am very fortunate to be surround by some pretty good friends. Unfortunately were all in Michigan. Not much else "good" I can say about it.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I am very fortunate to be surround by some pretty good friends. Unfortunately were all in Michigan. Not much else "good" I can say about it.
Yeah, Detroit is my birth city. I was born there at the height of its industrial and social power, right at the end of WWII. It makes me so sad to think of it now.

John
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Weathers not the reason to move here. Hot for 9 months of the year. In town you get a lot of humidity from the artificially induced landscape.

If you like Cactii its not bad though.

Northern AZ is quite nice in the White Mountains area and reminds me a lot of the area of Colorado where I grew up.

As to the OP's question what do I like best. I've made a pretty good living here and the golf isn't half bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Sorry to say but now its one of the worse cesspools I have ever had the displeasure of being in.

I avoid it like the plague !
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry to say but now its one of the worse cesspools I have ever had the displeasure of being in.

I avoid it like the plague !
It's been a really tough run for a while up there. Depressing to see some of the pictures of what parts of Detroit have turned into. I'm afraid it's going to be a long time before things get any better.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

!
I know I am different than most but I have always liked tough industrial smoke stack areas.
The old mills and grit around them have always suited me just fine.
A few blocks from the palatially restored row houses of the urban areas has always made me feel at home.

I lived in a couple cities where I went to the "borderline" (at best) area to live.
Restored the property and had had all the amenities of a gentrified area well within walking distance.

Can't afford to live in some of the places I used to live inspire of making a much better living.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I know I am different than most but I have always liked tough industrial smoke stack areas.
The old mills and grit around them have always suited me just fine.
A few blocks from the palatially restored row houses of the urban areas has always made me feel at home.
There was a time when you might have liked Detroit a great deal but that time is no more.

John
Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
There was a time when you might have liked Detroit a great deal but that time is no more.

John
Being born and raised in the heart of a big city, I love city life, other then the people
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Being born and raised in the heart of a big city, I love city life, other then the people
I always end up either in a downtown area or the sticks. I love things about both but the 'burbs don't do a thing for me.

John