PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food Strikes

BlueStreak
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
For a while now, I have tried to fathom why anyone would care to keep a fast food job long enough to warrant trying to raise wages and benefit levels. I've always thought of it as one of those jobs that bridge the gap between highschool and moving on to something better. Because in the America I grew up in, one worked fast food or the local grocery stores until you learned the ways of the workin' world. Then, after a few years, you went to the mills, auto plants, college or the military.

Recently, I started noticing something I'd paid little attention to until now------the age of the individuals working those jobs. I noticed the cashier at Target had to be in her sixties. The employees in the local Home Depot are, for the most part, older adults. Then, on my way home from the gym, I went through the drive-thru and bought an Egg McMuffin from a woman nearly my age. Something unheard of in the 1970s, unless the person was a manager or owned the place.

The "something better" part no longer exists.

Is it just the current economy, or something that's been brewing for a long time?
I'm thinking it's the latter. The old industries I mentioned have been changing and shrinking for a long time, no surprise there. That's not really what bothers me.

What bothers me is that nothing has replaced it. Well, nothing that provides stable employment and a comparable standard of living, that is.

We are told that this is how it is and how it is going to be. That the days of people with no more than a high school diploma or less receiving a middle class, or even a lower-middle class wage are just screwed because the so-called "free market" will not support it, end of story. That if they find themselves caught in poverty, it's their own fault and the rest of us should just ignore their plight and enjoy our cheap, cholesterol and fat laden hamburgers.

To cut it short; Am I the only one that doesn't see this ending in any peaceful way? History shows that if you treat people like peasants long enough, eventually they will be up your ass with a pitch fork. Once they are fed up enough with your bullshit, they will no longer care about your precious "free market principles", your self proclaimed right to be the master of your own private fiefdom or your whining that you have the "right" to keep all of the money for yourself.

I'm thinking this thing is small now, but it's only just begun.

Dave

barbara
12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Dave, there has been a joke going around for a couple of years that the new retirement is called 'work'. Only problem is.... It's not really a joke.

I was talking with a group of people the other day... All professionals who have worked years in their professions for pensions, and every one of us talked about the type of employment we will seek in our retirement years. (We are all about five years or so from retirement).

Even at the time of the conversation, I was struck by the fact that retirement for most of us will just mean a different job than what we are doing now.

Charles
12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
For a while now, I have tried to fathom why anyone would care to keep a fast food job long enough to warrant trying to raise wages and benefit levels. I've always thought of it as one of those jobs that bridge the gap between highschool and moving on to something better. Because in the America I grew up in, one worked fast food or the local grocery stores until you learned the ways of the workin' world. Then, after a few years, you went to the mills, auto plants, college or the military.

Recently, I started noticing something I'd paid little attention to until now------the age of the individuals working those jobs. I noticed the cashier at Target had to be in her sixties. The employees in the local Home Depot are, for the most part, older adults. Then, on my way home from the gym, I went through the drive-thru and bought an Egg McMuffin from a woman nearly my age. Something unheard of in the 1970s, unless the person was a manager or owned the place.

The "something better" part no longer exists.

Is it just the current economy, or something that's been brewing for a long time?
I'm thinking it's the latter. The old industries I mentioned have been changing and shrinking for a long time, no surprise there. That's not really what bothers me.

What bothers me is that nothing has replaced it. Well, nothing that provides stable employment and a comparable standard of living, that is.

We are told that this is how it is and how it is going to be. That the days of people with no more than a high school diploma or less receiving a middle class, or even a lower-middle class wage are just screwed because the so-called "free market" will not support it, end of story. That if they find themselves caught in poverty, it's their own fault and the rest of us should just ignore their plight and enjoy our cheap, cholesterol and fat laden hamburgers.

To cut it short; Am I the only one that doesn't see this ending in any peaceful way? History shows that if you treat people like peasants long enough, eventually they will be up your ass with a pitch fork. Once they are fed up enough with your bullshit, they will no longer care about your precious "free market principles", your self proclaimed right to be the master of your own private fiefdom or your whining that you have the "right" to keep all of the money for yourself.

I'm thinking this thing is small now, but it's only just begun.

Dave

You're making a lot of good points, but I'm out of gas.

Perhaps I can respond tomorrow.

Take care,

Chas

BlueStreak
12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Dave, there has been a joke going around for a couple of years that the new retirement is called 'work'. Only problem is.... It's not really a joke.

I was talking with a group of people the other day... All professionals who have worked years in their professions for pensions, and every one of us talked about the type of employment we will seek in our retirement years. (We are all about five years or so from retirement).

Even at the time of the conversation, I was struck by the fact that retirement for most of us will just mean a different job than what we are doing now.

A man once told me, (and he was angry serious), that;

"I've seen people in their '80s that I know damn well could be doing something productive. But, they'd rather sit on their ass all day."

I didn't respond to that insanity, but I couldn't help but wonder what kind of colossal ass thinks that way. If an old person is willing and capable to do some sort of productive work, that's one thing. But, in my experience, when someone like the man I quoted starts running his mouth, his intent is to leave them no choice if he could find a way. Which, to my mind, is just cruel.

Dave

barbara
12-05-2013, 07:53 PM
A man once told me, (and he was angry serious), that;

"I've seen people in their '80s that I know damn well could be doing something productive. But, they'd rather sit on their ass all day."

I didn't respond to that insanity, but I couldn't help but wonder what kind of colossal ass thinks that way. If an old person is willing and capable to do some sort of productive work, that's one thing. But, in my experience, when someone like the man I quoted starts running his mouth, his intent is to leave them no choice if he could find a way. Which, to my mind, is just cruel.

Dave

I don't think receiving a paycheck is a good measurement of productivity.
There are a lot of ways to be productive.

BlueStreak
12-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Barbara, I simply don't understand why some people get all twisted up when they;

A) See well paid workers.

B) See anyone stop working...ever.....even if that person has worked all of his/her life.

Where did all of these miserable jerks come from?

Dave

barbara
12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Barbara, I simply don't understand why some people get all twisted up when they;

B) See anyone stop working...ever.....even if that person has worked all of his/her life.

Dave

Yes.... Yes, I agree. If I wanna sit on my ass all day when I retire, it's nobody's business.

I work with the elderly and it's a sad thing to see how we (society in general) neglect and ignore our elderly.

At times, in our department, we see some heart breaking situations. This experience has made me think long and hard about how I want to set myself up for retirement, financially and emotionally.

But, if we are ever lucky enough to get a grand baby... To heck with all that careful planning!! I'd quit work tomorrow to be a full time grandma!

merrylander
12-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I see now that it is tellers in these so profitable big banks that also need food stamps.

BTW Barbara if your hair wants to go white let it and play it for all its worth.

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 07:27 AM
No comment from our resident Labor Attorney?

Dave

Oerets
12-06-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm one who also hates the fact the customer is forced to pay a subsidy in tips to the servers in sit down restaurants also. Pay your workers! They work hard long hours! No job I ever wanted to do BTW. Picked it up quick at sixteen!

A local chain of Waffle/Stake Houses went from franchises to corporate owned and operated because the old owners wanted no part of the ACA. A$$'s!!!!!

Barney

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I've only refused to tip once. And, that waiter was lucky I didn't snap his neck.

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 08:01 AM
A local chain of Waffle/Stake Houses went from franchises to corporate owned and operated because the old owners wanted no part of the ACA. A$$'s!!!!!

Barney

You know, there could be something going on there.

Dave

Oerets
12-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I've only refused to tip once. And, that waiter was lucky I didn't snap his neck.

I have been know to tip very well. But still feel the owners should cover the pay shortfall. Hate the old tired argument that if they did the servers would be lazy. Well replace them if that happens I say!

You know, there could be something going on there.

Dave

Not in my state, workers now don't have to join a union so organizing will be next to impossible now!

Barney

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 08:21 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about corporate squeezing the little guy out and telling employees to go to the exchange for their healthcare. Hmmmmmm.................

Dave

finnbow
12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I think the minimum wage should be automatically reset every year to correspond to an income level at which public assistance is no longer necessary for a full-time worker. As it is currently, I read that taxpayers pay about $7 billion/year providing public assistance to full-time food service workers. Why should we, the public, pay to supplement the inadequate income of these workers? The burger-munchers of the world should pay the full cost of their fast food preferences.

Oerets
12-06-2013, 08:28 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about corporate squeezing the little guy out and telling employees to go to the exchange for their healthcare. Hmmmmmm.................

Dave

No now with corporate ownership they have to offer coverage. The workers were happy because the old franchise owners wanted no part of the ACA. They were going to have to cover the staff.

Barney

Oerets
12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
I think the minimum wage should be automatically reset every year to correspond to an income level at which public assistance is no longer necessary for a full-time worker. As it is currently, I read that taxpayers pay about $7 billion/year providing public assistance to full-time food service workers. Why should we, the public, pay to supplement the inadequate income of these workers? The burger-munchers of the world should pay the full cost of their fast food preferences.

Congress pay raises tied to the minimum wage scale I say.

Barney

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Exactly. I've heard that it's to keep inflation down. Does it really when it's subsidized with public funds? I think the whole trend of subsidizing labor to keep business costs down is foolishness and really doesn't save John Q. Public anything.
The only people who win in that scenario are the business owners and I, for one, have had about enough of their whining and complaining. I see how they live, we all do. They're full of chit and people are figuring that out......Hence the subject of this thread.:rolleyes:

Besides, once it comes down to the government subsidizing labor, where does THAT trail lead? And, these same people complain that Single Payer, (but have no comment about private sector workers living off of food stamps), is too close to Soshalism?:confused:

Dave

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
No now with corporate ownership they have to offer coverage. The workers were happy because the old franchise owners wanted no part of the ACA. They were going to have to cover the staff.

Barney

Oh, well then good riddance to them. Who needs a cheap bastard, when it really comes down to it?

Dave

Dondilion
12-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Dave

There is another set, usually family members or relatives, who feel that
the retired person is sitting on some serious money.

And tries every scheme to take away the money.

Just check how many coming out of the wood work with hard luck
stories.

A friend recently had to change the locks of her apartment....she was
afraid of her own son. Since she retired her son believed she had unlimited
cash and would become belligerent when she denied his ever increasing demands.

barbara
12-06-2013, 08:59 AM

stories.

Your friend needs to call Adult Protective Services and press charges on her son.

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM

stories.

Oh, I know. I have a cousin who left his father penniless and sitting in a retirement home until he died. Spent every penny the old man had on poorly planned, failed business schemes. Of course he's a Proud Reagan Republican and a True Patriot who believes he deserves an easier path to success. We owe it to him because he's a "job creater".:rolleyes:

I think he's just an incompetent boob. Glad to see he finally just went out and got a job working for someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Dave

one1
12-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I think a person has to be on a more humble level before he can really see the world from the perspective of a person working in fast food or workink anywere that is considered low level employment.my neighbour works at mickey d's and she has been there 7 years. as well as over half of here relatives and freinds.she once told me "a dollar is a dollar no matter who pays it".this is some thing i personaly do when i want to examine someones demeaner.I try to place myself in their shoes,we all have doifferent cicumstances that make usevolve to our present state.

I have never been so humbled in my life as I did when I beacme a caregiver for my mom and dad as well as my wife.It is deeply humbling to have to bathe and change your parents.I think it has made me stronger as a man and I see the world differently now.

I think the biggest obstical a man faces with viewing another man is putting hiself on that mans level,and dropping the expectation that they might be just like him.,I used to judge a person by a first impression or how they look,that is not the way to do it I foound out after misjudging them allmost every time.

I am still guilty of this when i am upset or have some type of attitude about something or someone.I sit in my semi-first class seat and pass judgement so easy but at least I know how to put myself in a different frame of mind now.You guys mightr think this is funny but i get a lot of inspiration in music that is possitive or tells life like it is.that is wyh the majority of music i post is of this nature.Life is nothing but "the nature of reality"

one last thing before he died my father told me that he had thought i was gonna get killed or end up in prison when I was young,but I turned out to be a good son.and it is shit like this that keeps me going in the memory of the dead and who they were to me.

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Nice post.

What does it have to do with the issue at hand?

Dave

Rajoo
12-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Only answer to companies such as Walmart, McD's, Home Depot are if we collectively boycott them, or at the very least look for other options. Not too hard to grab a sandwich and a drink at a Safeway (a grocery chain) if I am on the run. A lot cheaper too. I do my best to eat in small privately held establishments.

Employees on food stamps is an indirect tax payer subsidy to private enterprise.

one1
12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Nice post.

What does it have to do with the issue at hand?

Dave

I did get off track I just re-read my post.sorry Dave,you know I am effed in the head.tghanks for the wake up before I got too into it.

I wanted to show how someones work ethic has a lot to do with demographic and also on the ir attitude about things.I might have got off track some .I have Nelson mandelas Death and Life on my mind.sorry

or econamy is gone to shit and in my hood the big money maker is drugs and hustles involving the welfare system.micky d's is considered a better employer than wally world down here in muskogee.but I think the picture here is peoples lives and how they handle the economic whirlpool.

one1
12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Only answer to companies such as Walmart, McD's, Home Depot are if we collectively boycott them, or at the very least look for other options. Not too hard to grab a sandwich and a drink at a Safeway (a grocery chain) if I am on the run. A lot cheaper too. I do my best to eat in small privately held establishments.

Employees on food stamps is an indirect tax payer subsidy to private enterprise.

I really dont think you are going to get a lot of people on anykind of boycott mission,in my case these large corporations are a neccessary evil and I do not feel I could give them up because they do have a direct reationship with my livihood and my family's.

it is pretty hard to be on foodstamps and work any more unless you are getting paid under the table or your income is still lower than the set levels.I have seen the state come at some people hard for fraud.

one1
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM
If I could still work I would I have always had a Knack for building up my finances.If we had not had the unforseen circumstances that we did ,I beleive I would be pretty well off right now .I had a good career at K-mart as the main person in shipping and receiving had been vested and on the way to good things .My wife also at K-mart as a Pharmacy magr.had 20 years in already and was really on the fast track.Who knows were we would be today

workers today just do not have the same initives to work as they once did.chances of a person actualy seeing any type of pension or social security pension is pretty nill.the only thing a person can do is work work work and hope nothing happens in there life to stop them from earning.it is pretty much day to day.even a breif stint in the hospital can put you out of the loop and you will have to swim upstream to get back to were you need to be in order to enjoy a decent lifestyle.

at some point there is a time when starting over is a waste of time and you have to go to plan B.maybe it has just always been fate that writes a persons story,I would like to think planning and looking past tommorow has something to do with it.but with the climate of our goverment and large corporations doing what they want I think it is just writting on the wall what this country is going to become and were our workforce is going to become. (tried not to get too personal sorry if I did)

Wasillaguy
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Bingo! Taxpayers are enabling this corporate behavior, but it keeps the cost of that Big Mac down.

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Bingo! Taxpayers are enabling this corporate behavior, but it keeps the cost of that Big Mac down.

Yeah, and that's all that matters to you isn't it?

So, it's all right to subsidize Americans stuffing junk food down their gullets, but suggest subsidizing their healthcare and this makes me an America hating Communist?:confused:

"Whatever keeps the American life expectancy down."? Is that what it is?

Dave

merrylander
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM

One way of looking at it, another way is that corporate greed is taking advantage of human compassion.:rolleyes:

BlueStreak
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
One way of looking at it, another way is that corporate greed is taking advantage of human compassion.:rolleyes:

Walton family, most likely the wealthiest family on earth;

"LOOK, our employees are starving! Somebody please DO something!"

Bluestreak;

"Who is it that pays them, asshole?:rolleyes:"

We certainly live in interesting times, Rob.

Dave

Wasillaguy
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Another way to look at it would be that corporate greed will take advantage of anything it can, and the only way they can take advantage of "human compassion" is if it is made mandatory and centralized and handed out with little to no oversight as to who actually needs it.
An individual with free will of where to apply compassion would not give food stamps to someone who is willing and able and actually working. Nor would they need to, as the business would be forced to compensate their employees in such a way that they could continue to return to work and not starve.
McDonalds will pay as much as they have to to get bodies in the kitchen, and they'll pass the cost on to the consumer.
The taxpayer is going to pay one way or the other. I'd much rather pay more for my burger than pay the government to subsidize their employees.

piece-itpete
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
As an American it is my God-given right to eat 322 cheeseburgers for $10.

Pete

bobabode
12-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Another way to look at it would be that corporate greed will take advantage of anything it can, and the only way they can take advantage of "human compassion" is if it is made mandatory and centralized and handed out with little to no oversight as to who actually needs it.
An individual with free will of where to apply compassion would not give food stamps to someone who is willing and able and actually working. Nor would they need to, as the business would be forced to compensate their employees in such a way that they could continue to return to work and not starve.
McDonalds will pay as much as they have to to get bodies in the kitchen, and they'll pass the cost on to the consumer.
The taxpayer is going to pay one way or the other. I'd much rather pay more for my burger than pay the government to subsidize their employees.

Dayum Was. You're the last guy I would've expected to support raising the minimum wage (big government telling business owners what to do) So, what's a living wage? $12? $15?

merrylander
12-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Ah yes, Aesop's fable time, that poor sod who has been at the job centre six days a week and mailing resumes when he can find money for postage. He is not working because they have sent his job to China or India.

Wasillaguy
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Dayum Was. You're the last guy I would've expected to support raising the minimum wage (big government telling business owners what to do) So, what's a living wage? $12? $15?

A living wage is as much as I can get.

Zeke
12-07-2013, 10:27 PM
A living wage is as much as I can get.

Paging Gordon Gekko...