Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Area Man

Fast Food Strikes

For a while now, I have tried to fathom why anyone would care to keep a fast food job long enough to warrant trying to raise wages and benefit levels. I've always thought of it as one of those jobs that bridge the gap between highschool and moving on to something better. Because in the America I grew up in, one worked fast food or the local grocery stores until you learned the ways of the workin' world. Then, after a few years, you went to the mills, auto plants, college or the military.

Recently, I started noticing something I'd paid little attention to until now------the age of the individuals working those jobs. I noticed the cashier at Target had to be in her sixties. The employees in the local Home Depot are, for the most part, older adults. Then, on my way home from the gym, I went through the drive-thru and bought an Egg McMuffin from a woman nearly my age. Something unheard of in the 1970s, unless the person was a manager or owned the place.

The "something better" part no longer exists.

Is it just the current economy, or something that's been brewing for a long time?
I'm thinking it's the latter. The old industries I mentioned have been changing and shrinking for a long time, no surprise there. That's not really what bothers me.

What bothers me is that nothing has replaced it. Well, nothing that provides stable employment and a comparable standard of living, that is.

We are told that this is how it is and how it is going to be. That the days of people with no more than a high school diploma or less receiving a middle class, or even a lower-middle class wage are just screwed because the so-called "free market" will not support it, end of story. That if they find themselves caught in poverty, it's their own fault and the rest of us should just ignore their plight and enjoy our cheap, cholesterol and fat laden hamburgers.

To cut it short; Am I the only one that doesn't see this ending in any peaceful way? History shows that if you treat people like peasants long enough, eventually they will be up your ass with a pitch fork. Once they are fed up enough with your bullshit, they will no longer care about your precious "free market principles", your self proclaimed right to be the master of your own private fiefdom or your whining that you have the "right" to keep all of the money for yourself.

I'm thinking this thing is small now, but it's only just begun.

Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Dave, there has been a joke going around for a couple of years that the new retirement is called 'work'. Only problem is.... It's not really a joke.

I was talking with a group of people the other day... All professionals who have worked years in their professions for pensions, and every one of us talked about the type of employment we will seek in our retirement years. (We are all about five years or so from retirement).

Even at the time of the conversation, I was struck by the fact that retirement for most of us will just mean a different job than what we are doing now.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Dave, there has been a joke going around for a couple of years that the new retirement is called 'work'. Only problem is.... It's not really a joke.

I was talking with a group of people the other day... All professionals who have worked years in their professions for pensions, and every one of us talked about the type of employment we will seek in our retirement years. (We are all about five years or so from retirement).

Even at the time of the conversation, I was struck by the fact that retirement for most of us will just mean a different job than what we are doing now.
A man once told me, (and he was angry serious), that;

"I've seen people in their '80s that I know damn well could be doing something productive. But, they'd rather sit on their ass all day."

I didn't respond to that insanity, but I couldn't help but wonder what kind of colossal ass thinks that way. If an old person is willing and capable to do some sort of productive work, that's one thing. But, in my experience, when someone like the man I quoted starts running his mouth, his intent is to leave them no choice if he could find a way. Which, to my mind, is just cruel.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 12-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
For a while now, I have tried to fathom why anyone would care to keep a fast food job long enough to warrant trying to raise wages and benefit levels. I've always thought of it as one of those jobs that bridge the gap between highschool and moving on to something better. Because in the America I grew up in, one worked fast food or the local grocery stores until you learned the ways of the workin' world. Then, after a few years, you went to the mills, auto plants, college or the military.

Recently, I started noticing something I'd paid little attention to until now------the age of the individuals working those jobs. I noticed the cashier at Target had to be in her sixties. The employees in the local Home Depot are, for the most part, older adults. Then, on my way home from the gym, I went through the drive-thru and bought an Egg McMuffin from a woman nearly my age. Something unheard of in the 1970s, unless the person was a manager or owned the place.

The "something better" part no longer exists.

Is it just the current economy, or something that's been brewing for a long time?
I'm thinking it's the latter. The old industries I mentioned have been changing and shrinking for a long time, no surprise there. That's not really what bothers me.

What bothers me is that nothing has replaced it. Well, nothing that provides stable employment and a comparable standard of living, that is.

We are told that this is how it is and how it is going to be. That the days of people with no more than a high school diploma or less receiving a middle class, or even a lower-middle class wage are just screwed because the so-called "free market" will not support it, end of story. That if they find themselves caught in poverty, it's their own fault and the rest of us should just ignore their plight and enjoy our cheap, cholesterol and fat laden hamburgers.

To cut it short; Am I the only one that doesn't see this ending in any peaceful way? History shows that if you treat people like peasants long enough, eventually they will be up your ass with a pitch fork. Once they are fed up enough with your bullshit, they will no longer care about your precious "free market principles", your self proclaimed right to be the master of your own private fiefdom or your whining that you have the "right" to keep all of the money for yourself.

I'm thinking this thing is small now, but it's only just begun.

Dave
You're making a lot of good points, but I'm out of gas.

Perhaps I can respond tomorrow.

Take care,

Chas
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
A man once told me, (and he was angry serious), that;

"I've seen people in their '80s that I know damn well could be doing something productive. But, they'd rather sit on their ass all day."

I didn't respond to that insanity, but I couldn't help but wonder what kind of colossal ass thinks that way. If an old person is willing and capable to do some sort of productive work, that's one thing. But, in my experience, when someone like the man I quoted starts running his mouth, his intent is to leave them no choice if he could find a way. Which, to my mind, is just cruel.

Dave
I don't think receiving a paycheck is a good measurement of productivity.
There are a lot of ways to be productive.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Area Man

Barbara, I simply don't understand why some people get all twisted up when they;

A) See well paid workers.

B) See anyone stop working...ever.....even if that person has worked all of his/her life.

Where did all of these miserable jerks come from?

Dave
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Barbara, I simply don't understand why some people get all twisted up when they;

B) See anyone stop working...ever.....even if that person has worked all of his/her life.

Dave
There is another set, usually family members or relatives, who feel that
the retired person is sitting on some serious money.

And tries every scheme to take away the money.

Just check how many coming out of the wood work with hard luck
stories.

A friend recently had to change the locks of her apartment....she was
afraid of her own son. Since she retired her son believed she had unlimited
cash and would become belligerent when she denied his ever increasing demands.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
There is another set, usually family members or relatives, who feel that
the retired person is sitting on some serious money.

And tries every scheme to take away the money.

Just check how many coming out of the wood work with hard luck
stories.

A friend recently had to change the locks of her apartment....she was
afraid of her own son. Since she retired her son believed she had unlimited
cash and would become belligerent when she denied his ever increasing demands.
Oh, I know. I have a cousin who left his father penniless and sitting in a retirement home until he died. Spent every penny the old man had on poorly planned, failed business schemes. Of course he's a Proud Reagan Republican and a True Patriot who believes he deserves an easier path to success. We owe it to him because he's a "job creater".

I think he's just an incompetent boob. Glad to see he finally just went out and got a job working for someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Dave
Yes.... Yes, I agree. If I wanna sit on my ass all day when I retire, it's nobody's business.

I work with the elderly and it's a sad thing to see how we (society in general) neglect and ignore our elderly.

At times, in our department, we see some heart breaking situations. This experience has made me think long and hard about how I want to set myself up for retirement, financially and emotionally.

But, if we are ever lucky enough to get a grand baby... To heck with all that careful planning!! I'd quit work tomorrow to be a full time grandma!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

I see now that it is tellers in these so profitable big banks that also need food stamps.

BTW Barbara if your hair wants to go white let it and play it for all its worth.