PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

bobabode
01-17-2015, 09:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-likely-to-make-economic-recovery-a-centerpiece-of-state-of-the-union-address/2015/01/17/22ecec32-9cd6-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html?hpid=z1

It looks like the Prez is going to propose for some tax overhaul while showing which side the 'pubbie's bread is buttered on. :D

finnbow
01-17-2015, 09:18 PM
President Obama plans to propose raising $320 billion over the next 10 years in new taxes targeting wealthy individuals and big financial institutions to pay for new programs designed to help lower- and middle-income families, senior administration officials said Saturday.

In his State of the Union address Tuesday night, Obama will propose raising the capital gains and dividend tax rates to 28 percent for high earners; imposing a fee on the liabilities of about 100 big financial institutions; and greatly broadening the amount of inherited money subject to taxes.

Yeh, that'll sail right through Congress.;)

mpholland
01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
President Obama plans to propose raising $320 billion over the next 10 years in new taxes targeting wealthy individuals and big financial institutions to pay for new programs designed to help lower- and middle-income families, senior administration officials said Saturday.

In his State of the Union address Tuesday night, Obama will propose raising the capital gains and dividend tax rates to 28 percent for high earners; imposing a fee on the liabilities of about 100 big financial institutions; and greatly broadening the amount of inherited money subject to taxes.

Yeh, that'll sail right through Congress.;)

The ability of politicians to get anything accomplished has been stagnant for so long that we now have to remember them for what they tried to do and not what they actually got accomplished. It is a pretty sad state of affairs in my book. OTOH, if you are going to go for it, why not go whole hog and try for pre-Reagan tax code? Better yet, let's go pre-Kennedy and have wartime increases to boot. Some of those wealthy politicians might not be so quick on the war trigger if they knew it was going to substantially raise their income tax rates.

finnbow
01-18-2015, 12:30 PM
The ability of politicians to get anything accomplished has been stagnant for so long that we now have to remember them for what they tried to do and not what they actually got accomplished. It is a pretty sad state of affairs in my book. OTOH, if you are going to go for it, why not go whole hog and try for pre-Reagan tax code? Better yet, let's go pre-Kennedy and have wartime increases to boot. Some of those wealthy politicians might not be so quick on the war trigger if they knew it was going to substantially raise their income tax rates.

I would argue that he really isn't offering a serious proposal. He's just placing a marker on the table in the battle for the middle class during the 2016 election.

Boreas
01-18-2015, 12:33 PM
I would argue that he really isn't offer a serious proposal. He's just placing a marker on the table in the battle for the middle class during the 2016 election.

Sadly, that's the way I read it too.

John

Rajoo
01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
I wonder how Mitt Romney is going to respond to this.

Here is a remark from Ms. Warren:

Warren also singled out a company on whose board Hillary Clinton sat for six years when she was first lady of Arkansas: “If you work at Wal-Mart, and you are paid so little that you still need food stamps to put groceries on the table, what does more money in stockholders’ pockets and an uptick in GDP do for you?”

And the charge she is making is that both the Clinton(s) and Obama has been cozying up to Wall Street.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/elizabeth-warren-keeps-pressure-on-hillary-clinton-and-democrats-ahead-of-2016/2015/01/17/cc844300-9b49-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html?hpid=z1

nailer
01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Who was the last President or mainstream Dem/Rep President wannabe who wasn't cozy with Wall Street? As to President I'm thinking TR.

finnbow
01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm getting so sick of all the silly theatrics associated with the SOTU address that I'm hoping that there's a good college hoops game that night.

Boreas
01-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Who was the last President or mainstream Dem/Rep President wannabe who wasn't cozy with Wall Street? As to President I'm thinking TR.

FDR (He hated them and they hated him) and probably Carter.

John

Boreas
01-18-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm getting so sick of all the silly theatrics associated with the SOTU address that I'm hoping that there's a good college hoops game that night.

I'll probably catch it on YouTube....... probably.

John

bobabode
01-19-2015, 02:06 PM
I would argue that he really isn't offering a serious proposal. He's just placing a marker on the table in the battle for the middle class during the 2016 election.

Yup, it'll broadcast for all to see who gives a shit about the middle class and the working poor. I see it as a positive.

finnbow
01-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Yup, it'll broadcast for all to see who gives a shit about the middle class and the working poor. I see it as a positive.

I see it as pissing in the wind for political purposes.

Rajoo
01-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Poll: Rising economy boosts Obama’s standing on eve of the State of the Union

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-rising-economy-boosts-obamas-standing-on-eve-of-the-state-of-the-union/2015/01/18/e66a2f18-9f28-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html?hpid=z1

So Obama has positive energy going into the address. I am sure he is going to be touting his economic recovery, impressive as the numbers are with no help from the GOP.

bobabode
01-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Poll: Rising economy boosts Obama’s standing on eve of the State of the Union

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-rising-economy-boosts-obamas-standing-on-eve-of-the-state-of-the-union/2015/01/18/e66a2f18-9f28-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html?hpid=z1

So Obama has positive energy going into the address. I am sure he is going to be touting his economic recovery, impressive as the numbers are with no help from the GOP.

+50% and -44%. :) Betcha it hits 55% or better by next week. ;)

Hmmm, now I wonder, what were the numbers for the last Republicans at this time in their presidencies?

Tom Joad
01-20-2015, 10:35 AM
+50% and -44%. :) Betcha it hits 55% or better by next week. ;)

Hmmm, now I wonder, what were the numbers for the last Republicans at this time in their presidencies?

Obama is doing fine, except for white people and we all know why that is.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-01-19/obama-s-poll-numbers-are-up-but-most-white-voters-are-still-on-the-outs?cmpid=yhoo

The only problem is that Obama's numbers with white voters are almost as low as they've ever been. In the new Washington Post/ABC News poll, 78 percent of non-white voters (and 89 percent of black voters) approve of the president. Only 36 percent of whites agree. That's a rebound from his December level of white support–29 percent, his lowest ever. It's just a little shy of the 39 percent of the white vote Obama won in 2012.

Ike Bana
01-20-2015, 11:10 AM
I see it as pissing in the wind for political purposes.

Seems to me, that's exactly how the remarkably ignorant American electorate likes their politicians best.

That said...interesting article on WSJ's Marketwatch today. The last paragraph:

Since most of the ideas Obama will discuss tonight will be received by Republicans as they have for several years now —with silence and inaction — Obama will continue, if not step up, his use of executive power. He’ll complain about lack of cooperation from Republicans, but perhaps given the improving economy, he doesn’t need them anyway.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-state-of-the-union-scorecard-shows-obama-can-live-without-congress-2015-01-20

Which makes me wonder, in light of TJ's post above, why white people would be quite so dissatisfied with Obama, since they're the ones doing the best in this economic recovery. Maybe it's "all about the economy" only when a white guy is boss.

bobabode
01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
I see it as pissing in the faces of the Repugnants for political purposes.

Fixed that for ya. :D

bobabode
01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Will the Orange Boner's bourbon infused tears streak his QT tan from a bottle? :rolleyes:

bobabode
01-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Seems to me, that's exactly how the remarkably ignorant American electorate likes their politicians best.

That said...interesting article on WSJ's Marketwatch today. The last paragraph:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-state-of-the-union-scorecard-shows-obama-can-live-without-congress-2015-01-20

Which makes me wonder, in light of TJ's post above, why white people would be quite so dissatisfied with Obama, since they're the ones doing the best in this economic recovery. Maybe it's "all about the economy" only when a white guy is boss.

You may be onto something Ike. ;)

Boreas
01-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Will the Orange Boner's Merlot infused tears streak his QT tan from a bottle? :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

John

bobabode
01-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Will Joni 'Squeal' Ernst trot out that creepy laugh during her rebuttal? :rolleyes:

Rajoo
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Unemployment numbers under both Clinton and Obama are impressive.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/141205134750-comparing-obama-unemployment-620xa.png

Ike Bana
01-20-2015, 04:58 PM

And particularly impressive for Obama considering the state of the economy, the freaked-out credit markets, corporatists cutting half their work force to part-time and forcing the full-time salaried employees to work 60 hour weeks to keep their jobs, and the Obama derangement syndrome opposition from the other party that he had to deal with when he took office. When Reagan left office unemployment was at 5.3...right now it's at 5.6. By the end of his time in office, the unemployment rate will be well below when Reagan left office. Maybe even lower than when Clinton left office.

Of course, what we're hearing from the right-wingjobs now is that the books are "cooked" and the actual rate is over 12% because everybody's given up, or dead, or taking a nap. But the rate is determined the way it's always been determined so they can blubber all they like.

bobabode
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM

Democrats, always having to clean up the conservative's messes.

bobabode
01-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Time to watch the show. :D

bobabode
01-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Awwww, I think Boehner's about to cry. Poor baby.:rolleyes:

Boreas
01-20-2015, 09:08 PM
So, who was that low-rent Republican asshole?

John

d-ray657
01-20-2015, 09:22 PM
A few quick impressions:

1. The President was on the offensive from the start.
2. The Democrats were as well disciplined as I have seen them. The show of support during the speech was well-orchestrated.
3. Some great plans, shame so many of them are still-born.
4. I think I preferred Boehner's scowl to Ryan's smirk.
5. I thought Justice Ginsberg looked like she was going to die.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
01-20-2015, 09:25 PM
A stemwinder, that's for sure. :)

Dondilion
01-20-2015, 09:28 PM
A few quick impressions:

3. some of them are still-born.

Regards,

D-Ray

Some examples?

bobabode
01-20-2015, 09:29 PM
So, who was that low-rent Republican asshole?

John

None that I saw. The Prez had a couple Kennedyesque moments, tho ;).

He spent a good amount of time cajoling & arm twisting towards bipartisanship. Good speech imho.

d-ray657
01-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Some examples?

Still-born was a poor choice of words. Preemies is probably more accurate. This Congress will not raise taxes on the rich, will not raise the minimum wage, and will not provide free community college - or much else that Obama wants.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
01-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Some examples?

I seriously doubt that the 'pubbies will send Obama legislation raising taxes. Just my .02 cents.

Pio1980
01-20-2015, 09:35 PM
The frightwing is responding as expected.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bobabode
01-20-2015, 09:40 PM
The frightwing is responding as expected.

I'm about 20 - 30 minutes behind in the DVR. Is Joni Ernst losing it?

Pio1980
01-20-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm about 20 - 30 minutes behind in the DVR. Is Joni Ernst losing it?

No, just the usual talking points fest.

Dondilion
01-20-2015, 09:44 PM
She lacks presence.

bobabode
01-20-2015, 09:51 PM
She lacks presence.

Robotic and overly scripted grousing infomercial. This is the best they have?

Hooo boy, repeal the ACA...:rolleyes:

Pio1980
01-20-2015, 09:56 PM
McConnell and Boener looked like they were swallowing dog turds during the applause.

Boreas
01-20-2015, 10:01 PM
None that I saw. The Prez had a couple Kennedyesque moments, tho ;).

He spent a good amount of time cajoling & arm twisting towards bipartisanship. Good speech imho.

Oh, you didn't catch that? When the President said words to the effect that he wouldn't be running again, one or two assholes on the Republican side applauded.

John

bobabode
01-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Heh, heh, heh. They were none too happy. :D

bobabode
01-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Oh, you didn't catch that? When the President said words to the effect that he wouldn't be running again, one or two assholes on the Republican side applauded.

John

I did catch that, there were more than a couple of 'em but he brushed 'em right off. ;)

A good eye roll and a reminder that he won both of his presidential elections works for me. It was a set up, imo. ((grin))

bobabode
01-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Hoo boy, I just saw Chuck 'You Farley' Todd tooting his own horn on the tube...:rolleyes:

bobabode
01-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Ennywho...good boilerplate progressive and populist speech. Time for some tunes and an adult beverage. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif

merrylander
01-21-2015, 06:07 AM
That lying mofo McConnell said the were against income redistribution. Really so what in hell does he call it when fund managers pay a lower tax rate that their secretaries?

Against free tuition, guess they forget that it was the GI Bill that made this country. Even our new idiot governor says we can't afford Pre K. Hell we cannot afford not to do it. It is Maryland's educated work force that brings business here, - good business not sweat shops. Why oh why do you Republicans keep electing these mental midgets?

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Okay, I finally watched Jodies GOP response; Somebody please tell me what all of this waxing nostalgic about being poor is all about? Why are these people trying to convince us that having little and struggling to survive is such a great thing? Bread bags on her feet to protect her only pair of shoes? Wow, that's awesome! I wish I didn't have a pot to piss in too! Woo Hoo! YEA, POVERTY!!! (You know I once heard someone joke about using a clear bag and a rubber band to "..play spaceman". I think THAT'S what Jodi really did.) And, the Keystone pipeline is now a "jobs bill" that's supposed to solve all of our problems? Does anyone really believe this silly shit? This tube full of Canadian mud is supposed to lift the entire national economy in a sustainable manor? I don't buy it. Not for one second. Oh, it'll benefit someone alright.......You can bet on that. It just won't be any of us. We'll just be ecstatic to be wearing bags on our only good pair of shoes.....................

Dave

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Still-born was a poor choice of words. Preemies is probably more accurate. This Congress will not raise taxes on the rich, will not raise the minimum wage, and will not provide free community college - or much else that Obama wants.

Regards,

D-Ray

That was the whole point, Don. He's trying to drive home the fact that they will oppose everything he proposed......simply because HE proposed it. But, of course most of us here including you and I, know that already.

JBS...
01-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Ennywho...good boilerplate progressive and populist speech. Time for some tunes and an adult beverage. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/music.gif

May I suggest ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCd0OjjCz88

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 06:55 AM

Sadly, that's the way I read it too.

John

Precisely.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 06:58 AM
May I suggest ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCd0OjjCz88

I would suggest this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On2XH3Ya1tQ

Dave

Oerets
01-21-2015, 08:42 AM
My thoughts are a simple ones, just where was this President the last six years?

Has he finally found his courage and had enough of the Rights BS?

To late IMO! This speech should of been made and backed up with action in 09.

Barney

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Speaking of a corrupt dishonest party,

GOP talks immigration reform in Spanish, but not English

Republicans sent mixed signals on immigration in their two official rebuttals to President Obama Tuesday night: Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst’s rebuttal made no mention of the topic, but the Spanish-language version of the rebuttal, delivered by Florida Rep. Carlos Curbelo, said Republicans wanted to work with Obama to fix the immigration system.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/state-of-the-union-2015-gop-immigration-114430.html#ixzz3PT7m14g8

Boreas
01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/meh-lemme-start-over-ted-cruz-resets-midway-through-sotu-response/

JBS...
01-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Speaking of a corrupt dishonest party,

GOP talks immigration reform in Spanish, but not English

LOL, did you hear about the SOTU Spanish subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MTbhyDfCEU#t=26

"The translation was a mix of all caps and lowercase letters, with many words repeating, and some translations simply incorrect." :o

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01/20/state-of-the-union-spanish-translators-have-some-explaining-to-do/

Tom Joad
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Okay, I finally watched Jodies GOP response; Somebody please tell me what all of this waxing nostalgic about being poor is all about? Why are these people trying to convince us that having little and struggling to survive is such a great thing? Bread bags on her feet to protect her only pair of shoes? Wow, that's awesome! I wish I didn't have a pot to piss in too! Woo Hoo! YEA, POVERTY!!! (You know I once heard someone joke about using a clear bag and a rubber band to "..play spaceman". I think THAT'S what Jodi really did.) And, the Keystone pipeline is now a "jobs bill" that's supposed to solve all of our problems? Does anyone really believe this silly shit? This tube full of Canadian mud is supposed to lift the entire national economy in a sustainable manor? I don't buy it. Not for one second. Oh, it'll benefit someone alright.......You can bet on that. It just won't be any of us. We'll just be ecstatic to be wearing bags on our only good pair of shoes.....................

Dave

This Little Miss Whitebread was never poor.

Iowa farm country ain't the hood and it ain't Appalachia either.

Iowa farmland is some valuable real estate.

A family that owns a 160 acres of that plus the farm equipment, livestock, farmhouse, etc. has got several million dollars in assets.

Her family may have had to "address some cash flow issues" from time to time, but they were never poor.

whell
01-21-2015, 11:45 AM
President Obama on a middle class tax cut:

"If you like your money, you can keep it."

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
I am betting that she is being test marketed as a VP candidate. Woman, a veteran, poor country girl, church going family values model. Look for her to show up with an AK-47 at her campaigns. :)

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 11:50 AM

As opposed to the GOP motto, "If you like your money, we will help you keep more of it?", or is it "most of it".

Tom Joad
01-21-2015, 12:06 PM
My thoughts are a simple ones, just where was this President the last six years?

Barney

I feel the same way.

I don't think Hillary will make the same mistake.

whell
01-21-2015, 12:08 PM
As opposed to the GOP motto, "If you like your money, we will help you keep more of it?", or is it "most of it".

Or maybe - "We'll take from you a teeny - weenie bit less than the Democrats"?

Boreas
01-21-2015, 12:15 PM

That almost sums it up but the Democrats say they'll spend it on things that benefit the people. The Republicans say that we can't afford that sort of stuff. Better to spend it on war and gifts to the "job creators".

John

Ike Bana
01-21-2015, 12:19 PM

Willard on the middle classes money, "Keep an eye on it and see how fast you have less of it and we have more."

We all know the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer — but the inequality gap may be widening faster than you think. Within two years, the top 1% will have more wealth than the remaining 99% of people on the planet, a new study says.

Just in time for the billionaire-and-politician get-together in Davos, Switzerland, Oxfam’s report on Monday lays out the increasing concentration of global wealth among a small elite.

This first chart, based on Credit Suisse Data from 2000-2014, shows how the bottom 99% has been losing wealth over the past decade or so, and the top 1% has been gaining.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/richest-1-is-about-to-own-more-than-everyone-else-put-together-oxfam-2015-01-19-910384

So...here's how it works. We complain about crime, "entitled thugs", the diminishment of our society, etc., etc., and it's so goddamn easy to blame it all on the gubmint. All the while, Bill Gates makes what he makes, as does Buffet, KochX2, Zuckerberg, Lucas, Spielberg, Oprah, and P-Diddy. Meantime, children in this country are neglected and abused and vulnerable because the culture has also decided it's not worth spending the money on social service systems, law enforcement, and a court system that will protect them.

Seems pretty clear to me that the culture has decided who gets rewarded and with how much, and in turn the culture gets exactly what it fucking deserves.

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 12:25 PM

And what will they do with it? Redistribute to the people that can hide it?

Edit: I really meant to say reinvest it. :rolleyes:

Dondilion
01-21-2015, 12:29 PM
And will they do with it? Redistribute to the people that can hide it?

Edit: I really meant to say reinvest it. :rolleyes:

A potent question.

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 01:23 PM

A family that owns a 160 acres of that plus the farm equipment, livestock, farmhouse, etc. has got several million dollars in assets.

Her family may have had to "address some cash flow issues" from time to time, but they were never poor.

That was my whole point. What is it with these snakes that keep trying to convince us that it's cool to be poor, or as a friend of mine put it; "..they want us to be proud to be low wage trailer park trash."?

It just stinks, Tom.

Dave

finnbow
01-21-2015, 01:30 PM
That was my whole point. What is it with these snakes that keep trying to convince us that it's cool to be poor, or as a friend of mine put it; "..they want us to be proud to be low wage trailer park trash."?

It just stinks, Tom.

Dave

I think it's more of a "I made it to the top without any government help (whether true or not), so all of you no-account 47 percenters can do the same. We'll do what we can to help out "job creators," but you low-lives need to pull yourself up from your bootstraps like I did."

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it's more of a "I made it to the top without any government help (whether true or not), so all of you no-account 47 percenters can do the same. We'll do what we can to help out "job creators," but you low-lives need to pull yourself up from your bootstraps like I did."

Not much difference between the two. Because all too often, it's a lie.

Dave

bobabode
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
'Kantalope Kalves' King-GOTP, Iowa douchenozzle emeritus complained about the First Lady's choice of guests. Michelle had a 'Dreamer' gal with her and King bitterly complained while calling the gal a "deportable".

Stay classy Republicans.

bobabode
01-21-2015, 02:14 PM

I knew we could count on you Mike, to trot out the 'false equivalency' card. :rolleyes:

Boreas
01-21-2015, 02:36 PM
'Kantalope Kalves' King-GOTP, Iowa douchenozzle emeritus complained about the First Lady's choice of guests. Michelle had a 'Dreamer' gal with her and King bitterly complained while calling the gal a "deportable".

Stay classy Republicans.

King is a breath of fresh air because he's more than willing to say exactly what the Republican base and most elected Republicans really think. It's good to know your enemy.

John

bobabode
01-21-2015, 02:55 PM
King is a breath of fetid air because he's more than willing to say exactly what the Republican base and most elected Republicans really think. It's good to know your enemy.

John

A minor rewrite...;)

whell
01-21-2015, 03:04 PM
That almost sums it up but the Democrats say they'll spend it on things that benefit the lobbyists and their Wall Street pals.

John

Fixed it for you.

bobabode
01-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Fixed it for you.

There he goes again...:rolleyes:

Tom Joad
01-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Iowa farmers don't get any government help?:rolleyes:

finnbow
01-21-2015, 04:11 PM

I said "whether true or not."

BlueStreak
01-21-2015, 04:13 PM

Sure they do. To the tune of some quite hefty sums, to be sure. Minnesotan farmers too. Just ask Senator Bachmann............

Dave

Tom Joad
01-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Sure they do. To the tune of some quite hefty sums, to be sure. Minnesotan farmers too. Just ask Senator Bachmann............

Dave

I know.

That why I used the :rolleyes: thingy.

bobabode
01-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Dave

Senator Bachmann? Wasn't she one of the Bond gals?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQcBZ9_oxR-RvItlk2mhOn_7Z_PvEKzEpU0H2TCWhKu7MQJg9t

piece-itpete
01-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Staying on message: Tax & spend.

At least I know how much I can get for my vote. A cool grand? Go big or go home.

Hi guys :o

Pete

whell
01-21-2015, 06:54 PM
There he goes again...:rolleyes:

Hey, just trying to keep things factual.

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That almost sums it up but the Democrats say they'll spend it on things that benefit the lobbyists and their Wall Street pals.

John

Fixed it for you.

Actually I agree with you here but need to qualify your comment. It is true that Wall Street driven financial instrumentalists do fund Dem campaigns to a larger degree than they do the Pub's. Just that it costs a lot more to buy a Dem vote than a Republican vote.
Ask the Koch brothers to find out how easy it is to buy a Republican vote. :D

hillbilly
01-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Maybe, maybe not. She's no spring chicken and land wasn't always high. And farm equipment can be had for a song if you buy it worn out already and try to do the best you can with what you have. Today, or todays value doesn't mean she didn't grow up poor.

nailer
01-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Actually I agree with you here but need to qualify your comment. It is true that Wall Street driven financial instrumentalists do fund Dem campaigns to a larger degree than they do the Pub's. Just that it costs a lot more to buy a Dem vote than a Republican vote.
Ask the Koch brothers to find out how easy it is to buy a Republican vote. :D

Price doesn't matter, the Capitalists have more than enough wealth to continue buying both sides of the aisle into the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

hillbilly
01-21-2015, 10:17 PM
I did get a giggle out of it though when Obama said that he wasn't a scientist. I thought that with all the issues at hand why in the heck he'd waste his time bringing up that crap.

Rajoo
01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Price doesn't matter, the Capitalists have more than enough wealth to continue buying both sides of the aisle into the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

Thank you for simplifying my convoluted snarky remark. :)
Politics is an equal opportunity game with both parties open for business.

bobabode
01-21-2015, 11:11 PM
I did get a giggle out of it though when Obama said that he wasn't a scientist. I thought that with all the issues at hand why in the heck he'd waste his time bringing up that crap.

Sure was fun watching him take the 'pubbies to the woodshed last night. :D

I was hoping he would pull a 'gangsta mic drop' on their sorry asses. :cool:

bobabode
01-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Thank you for simplifying my convoluted snarky remark. :)
Politics is an equal opportunity game with both parties open for business.

Same as it ever was...

merrylander
01-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Okay, I finally watched Jodies GOP response; Somebody please tell me what all of this waxing nostalgic about being poor is all about? Why are these people trying to convince us that having little and struggling to survive is such a great thing? Bread bags on her feet to protect her only pair of shoes? Wow, that's awesome! I wish I didn't have a pot to piss in too! Woo Hoo! YEA, POVERTY!!! (You know I once heard someone joke about using a clear bag and a rubber band to "..play spaceman". I think THAT'S what Jodi really did.) And, the Keystone pipeline is now a "jobs bill" that's supposed to solve all of our problems? Does anyone really believe this silly shit? This tube full of American owned Canadian mud is supposed to lift the entire national economy in a sustainable manor? I don't buy it. Not for one second. Oh, it'll benefit someone alright.......You can bet on that. It just won't be any of us. We'll just be ecstatic to be wearing bags on our only good pair of shoes.....................

Dave

Fixed it for you.:)

merrylander
01-22-2015, 07:07 AM

Barney

And exactly how was he to have done that?

Ike Bana
01-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Staying on message: Tax & spend.

Great American political myth #1:

Republicans spend less than Democrats.

finnbow
01-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Great American political myth #1:

Republicans spend less than Democrats.

Indeed. The GOP message? You can have it all, but you'll have to pay for it with tax cuts.:confused: It's amazing, that despite ample proof of the failures of supply-side economics, that this remains their message.

Ike Bana
01-22-2015, 08:23 AM

That's why thinking there can ever be any positive change through the Legislative branch in the way the government and politics of this country operates is just stupid thinking.

The Executive and Judicial need to take control of this country. This is why it's so important that the executive remain in Democrat hands, particularly so that over the next few administrations, the Supreme Court begins to show a decidedly progressive shift. If that means the Constitution is abandoned to some degree then it is. Because the Constitution is not serving the people anymore. The more executive orders I see out of Obama over the next 2 years, generally, the happier I'll be. What would be perfect is to see Scalia finally off the court by 2016...a raging megalomaniac like him should have never been on the court in the first place.

Ike Bana
01-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Indeed. The GOP message? You can have it all, but you'll have to pay for it with tax cuts.:confused: It's amazing, that despite ample proof of the failures of supply-side economics, that this remains their message.

I remember the radio financial guy Bob Brinker back in 2003 blasting the Bush administration for it's "guns and butter politics", when it decided to push for tax cuts and at the same time, invade Iraq.

As far as the voodooo-reaganomics supply-siders are concerned...that whole issue has long been exposed by Krugman. It's years now since he confirmed that the tax-cutting strategy for economic growth during the Reagan administration was never designed to be long-term policy. He's been clear that the Republican party politically adopted it as such, knowing that it was bad for the financial stability of the country, but that it was a powerful political tool that would be loved by a country full of self-absorbed adolescents who want everything...want it right now...and want somebody else to pay for it.

merrylander
01-22-2015, 09:52 AM
There was a letter to the editor in WaPo this AM extolling automation and that the government (IRS) should follow industry. Yeah sure only problem is that assembly line robots may build cars but they don't buy them.

piece-itpete
01-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Same as how Keynesian economics was debunked?

Dems: you can have anything you want and the rich can pay for it :p Funny how so************************m has been such a failure but it's still touted as the best thing since sliced bread.

Which apparently is pretty good.

Pete

finnbow
01-23-2015, 07:06 PM

Dems: you can have anything you want and the rich can pay for it...

That is indeed the Democratic message. It makes more economic sense than the GOP message of "You can have anything you want, but you'll have to pay for it with tax cuts."

piece-itpete
01-23-2015, 07:08 PM
What did Obie say about some cash back? Isn't that a functional equivalent?

Pete

finnbow
01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
What did Obie say about some cash back? Isn't that a functional equivalent?

Pete

You're confusing his speech with the GM commercial that followed it, Pete.;)

piece-itpete
01-23-2015, 07:38 PM
LOL! I don't buy their baloney either :p

Pete

merrylander
01-24-2015, 07:28 AM

Pete

According to who?

finnbow
01-24-2015, 07:30 AM
According to who?

Indeed. If anything, Keynesian economics got a shot in the arm at the expense of supply-side silliness in the last 6 years.

BlueStreak
01-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Indeed. If anything, Keynesian economics got a shot in the arm at the expense of supply-side silliness in the last 6 years.

It certainly has. It's even got the right talking about "rebuilding the middle class". Tell me, how does the Republican Party----(the government)----do that without taking legislative action?

Or, like Jon Stewart told Marco Rubio, recently, "But, what you're suggesting here is governmental involvement and governmental action through a government program, which is always supposed to be a bad thing according to your party." (Paraphrased.)

The Republican Party and the politicians under its banner are an entrenched part of the evil government, last I checked. So, I'd say that keeping "the government" out of our lives would include keeping the GOP out of our lives as well. ;)

Agreed?

Dave

piece-itpete
01-24-2015, 09:27 AM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/

Pete