Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Admin

Thumbs up State of the Union

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1

It looks like the Prez is going to propose for some tax overhaul while showing which side the 'pubbie's bread is buttered on.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

President Obama plans to propose raising $320 billion over the next 10 years in new taxes targeting wealthy individuals and big financial institutions to pay for new programs designed to help lower- and middle-income families, senior administration officials said Saturday.

In his State of the Union address Tuesday night, Obama will propose raising the capital gains and dividend tax rates to 28 percent for high earners; imposing a fee on the liabilities of about 100 big financial institutions; and greatly broadening the amount of inherited money subject to taxes.

Yeh, that'll sail right through Congress.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
President Obama plans to propose raising $320 billion over the next 10 years in new taxes targeting wealthy individuals and big financial institutions to pay for new programs designed to help lower- and middle-income families, senior administration officials said Saturday.

In his State of the Union address Tuesday night, Obama will propose raising the capital gains and dividend tax rates to 28 percent for high earners; imposing a fee on the liabilities of about 100 big financial institutions; and greatly broadening the amount of inherited money subject to taxes.

Yeh, that'll sail right through Congress.
The ability of politicians to get anything accomplished has been stagnant for so long that we now have to remember them for what they tried to do and not what they actually got accomplished. It is a pretty sad state of affairs in my book. OTOH, if you are going to go for it, why not go whole hog and try for pre-Reagan tax code? Better yet, let's go pre-Kennedy and have wartime increases to boot. Some of those wealthy politicians might not be so quick on the war trigger if they knew it was going to substantially raise their income tax rates.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
The ability of politicians to get anything accomplished has been stagnant for so long that we now have to remember them for what they tried to do and not what they actually got accomplished. It is a pretty sad state of affairs in my book. OTOH, if you are going to go for it, why not go whole hog and try for pre-Reagan tax code? Better yet, let's go pre-Kennedy and have wartime increases to boot. Some of those wealthy politicians might not be so quick on the war trigger if they knew it was going to substantially raise their income tax rates.
I would argue that he really isn't offering a serious proposal. He's just placing a marker on the table in the battle for the middle class during the 2016 election.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-18-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I would argue that he really isn't offer a serious proposal. He's just placing a marker on the table in the battle for the middle class during the 2016 election.
Sadly, that's the way I read it too.

John
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM

I wonder how Mitt Romney is going to respond to this.

Here is a remark from Ms. Warren:

Quote:
Warren also singled out a company on whose board Hillary Clinton sat for six years when she was first lady of Arkansas: “If you work at Wal-Mart, and you are paid so little that you still need food stamps to put groceries on the table, what does more money in stockholders’ pockets and an uptick in GDP do for you?”
And the charge she is making is that both the Clinton(s) and Obama has been cozying up to Wall Street.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1
Old 01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Rational Anarchist

Who was the last President or mainstream Dem/Rep President wannabe who wasn't cozy with Wall Street? As to President I'm thinking TR.

Last edited by nailer; 01-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm getting so sick of all the silly theatrics associated with the SOTU address that I'm hoping that there's a good college hoops game that night.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Who was the last President or mainstream Dem/Rep President wannabe who wasn't cozy with Wall Street? As to President I'm thinking TR.
FDR (He hated them and they hated him) and probably Carter.

John
Old 01-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm getting so sick of all the silly theatrics associated with the SOTU address that I'm hoping that there's a good college hoops game that night.
I'll probably catch it on YouTube....... probably.

John