Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Rational Anarchist

The Obama Doctrine

Worth reading. An excerpt:

It appeared as though Obama had drawn the conclusion that damage to American credibility in one region of the world would bleed into others, and that U.S. deterrent credibility was indeed at stake in Syria. Assad, it seemed, had succeeded in pushing the president to a place he never thought he would have to go. Obama generally believes that the Washington foreign-policy establishment, which he secretly disdains, makes a fetish of “credibility”—particularly the sort of credibility purchased with force. The preservation of credibility, he says, led to Vietnam. Within the White House, Obama would argue that “dropping bombs on someone to prove that you’re willing to drop bombs on someone is just about the worst reason to use force.”

American national-security credibility, as it is conventionally understood in the Pentagon, the State Department, and the cluster of think tanks headquartered within walking distance of the White House, is an intangible yet potent force—one that, when properly nurtured, keeps America’s friends feeling secure and keeps the international order stable.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ctrine/471525/
Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM

Sounds like Obama has read The Best And The Brightest. Vietnam IS the prime example of a war needlessly dragging on because of American fear of losing credibility...the so-called Peace With Honor strategy of Nixon.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:09 PM

I guess my only comment, and one that, to me invalidates the entire article is how does this person know what Obama secretly feels about anything?

It's all speculation from there......
Old 03-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Admin

Not that I expect many will agree but he's arguably the best POTUS in my six decades on this mudball hurtling through space. The next one will continue his legacy in her own way.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Obama? Yes, he's a rock star. That's why the republicans hate him. But then all they have is hate.....
Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I guess my only comment, and one that, to me invalidates the entire article is how does this person know what Obama secretly feels about anything?

It's all speculation from there......
Read the article. Obama gave this guy access for months and the resulting article is very in-depth and informative. A highly worthy, if long, read.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:16 PM

OK.....
Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Read the article. Obama gave this guy access for months and the resulting article is very in-depth and informative. A highly worthy, if long, read.
Obama seems now to be very comfortable with his world view. He has more self confidence which allows him to read and ignore the noise and BS coming from the media and some of the people around him.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Obama seems now to be very comfortable with his world view. He has more self confidence which allows him to read and ignore the noise and BS coming from the media and some of the people around him.
Another four years would seal the deal.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Resident octogenarian

I don't have any children or grandchildren in the Services buut the way some of these chicken hawks would cheerfully send other people's loved ones into harms way astounds me. Although written for a different problem, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's The Children has words that seem applicable.