Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Abby Normal

Teachers in NJ

NJ faces major financial troubles so the Governor wants to freeze teachers salaries and have them contribute 1% of their salary to their healthcare. As it is now, they pay nothing for medical, dental and vision. The governor is receiving fierce opposition with this. In fact the head of the teachers union issued a statement to members encouraging them to pray for the governors death.

So I did a search on a very ordinary middle class town in NJ that I briefly lived in years ago to check teachers salaries to see if it made sense to have the teachers contribute 1% toward there own benefits. Here is what I found.

http://php.app.com/edstaff/results2....&Submit=Submit

In addition to these salaries we have to factor in that teacher do not work a full day nor full year and by statute have first rights to any "part time" jobs as sports coaches (where they have to have zero qualifications).

So what do you think?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM

They oughta not just pray for this arsewhole's death, he oughta be hunted down & murdered slowly & painfully...Of all the nerve...Expecting those poor, downtrodden, overworked, GROSSLY UNDERPAID humble pedagogues to pay for their own healthcare, when everybody KNOWS they really oughta be getting COMBAT PAY in the 1st place...$50K ONLY for a Science teacher ?!? Good Gawd, man, that's ACTIONABLE !!!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It makes me think that when I retire from my current job (2-3 years), I may have to teach math or German in high school for $100K. I think teachers' pay scales in this area are similar.

Actually, I'm all for paying teachers a salary commensurate with their contributions to society, but when it comes to belt-tightening in these trying economic times, they're part of the mix too.

Damn Sandy. I wish I could write like you. The crazy thoughts swirling in my head likely aren't all that different than yours, but my written word comes out "bureaucratese."
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM

I wish I could write like me, too...Too much National Lampoon, Mad Magazine, & Monty Python back in the Old Days...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Abby Normal

NJ voted down 58% of the school budgets in the state Tuesday.
It's about time the teachers club has been exposed.
http://maplewood.blogs.nytimes.com/2...l-vote-damage/
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Area Man

It looks to me that the budgets were voted down because of the cuts.
Is that correct?

Dave
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Administrator

I have always been a proponent of compensating our teachers well. With that said being asked to pay 1% of their insurance is not out of line. Hell most people wish they only paid single digit percentages of their HC insurance. Me included. !
Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It looks to me that the budgets were voted down because of the cuts.
Is that correct?

Dave
"The union responded by declaring that it is precisely those property taxes, which they say districts have been forced to raise because of the governor’s cuts, that have resulted in the voters saying no to the budgets."

in other words the budgets were voted down because they would cause property taxes to rise. This became a referendum on taxes not education. The general feeling is that the teachers/budgets need to take cuts rather than increasing taxes to compensate for the state revenue losses.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I have always been a proponent of compensating our teachers well. With that said being asked to pay 1% of their insurance is not out of line. Hell most people wish they only paid single digit percentages of their HC insurance. Me included. !
$104,000 a year for a Spanish teacher who works what others would consider a part time job paid for by my tax seems out of whack to me, especially when you consider that that is just the tip of the iceberg. Add to that full healthcare coverage till death and a palatial retirement payment. Teachers have silently become the best job in the US at the taxpayers expense. The days of the hard working under paid teacher is 50 years obsolete, they have done well to keep the myth alive.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 AM

hmm, 'joizey' has the 4th highest cost of living in the u.s. according to this (questionable) list-
http://www.costoflivingbystate.org/c...-by-state.html

everything there costs an arm and a leg, it seems. gotta pay folks more.

edit-with md close behind.
more edit-i do agree tho, 1% isn't asking too much, imo.

Last edited by westgate; 04-23-2010 at 07:30 AM.