Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Area Man

For those among us.....

...who think the world has changed so much since 1971.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24m6...eature=related

This video is somewhat dated, but you can substitute Tea Party activists for Anti-war protesters, and voila', there it is. Heck, judging by the age of so many of the Tea Partiers, they might even be the same folks.....

Regards,
Dave
Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
...who think the world has changed so much since 1971.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24m6...eature=related

This video is somewhat dated, but you can substitute Tea Party activists for Anti-war protesters, and voila', there it is. Heck, judging by the age of so many of the Tea Partiers, they might even be the same folks.....

Regards,
Dave
Frankly, I find the idea that some of the Tea Party protesters are retreaded 60s radicals bizarre. The Tea Party uses the same sort of street theater tactics that the anti-war movement and the ban the bomb movement used but that's where the similarity ends.

John
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Frankly, I find the idea that some of the Tea Party protesters are retreaded 60s radicals bizarre. The Tea Party uses the same sort of street theater tactics that the anti-war movement and the ban the bomb movement used but that's where the similarity ends.

John
Does seem to be quite a stretch, to say they are the same people. Although it is possible, people do change, John.

All I meant to say was that the turmoil never ends. The fight never ends. There are battles won and battles lost, but the war never ends.
The song mentions social issues, war, economic concerns, etc. Many of which we still fight over today, much as we did 40 years ago. Another of my attempts to demonstrate that "The good old days" (Pick an era.) are a myth.

The 1920s? Prohibition, the rise of organized crime, a volatile economy that collapsed, rose to incredible heights, then collapsed again, Klansmen marching by the tens of thousands on Pennsylvania Avenue---Not quite the idyllic scene that Beck was trying to portray it as the other night, Huh?

The 1950s? Jim Crow, Cold War, labor strife................

"I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do............."

Dave
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Do you realize that tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the Kent State shootings? Less than two weeks after that the the police opened fire on a dormitory at Jackson State in Mississippi, killing two and wounding twelve others. I wonder if either of those anniversaries will be mentioned on Fox. I would hope that the hateful rhetoric that is going on now can be calmed before things reach that state again. The irony in this case is that the protesters are carrying arms now, whereas the murdered kids in Ohio and Mississippi were advocating peace.

I kinda have a hankering for putting on Steve Miller's Jackson/Kent Blues - on the same album as Industrial Military Complex Hex. This is the kind of great stuff he did before the Joker got to him.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM

"America was stunned on May 4, 1970...When rally turned to riot up at Kent State University...They said the students scared the guards, tho the troops were battle-dressed...4 Brothers earned a new degree-The Bachelor of Bullets...." Still remember the pic of that girl kneeling behind a dead guy all laid out, Looking at him in horror...Think I remember she wasn't a student at Kent State, she was a 17-yr-old hiskule senior who knew the guy, & just got caught up in history.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM

Then

Last edited by Boreas; 05-03-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 PM

and now.

John
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

Then
Yep, that's the one, John.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Area Man

Kent, Ohio. That's my neck of the woods. My Brother Johns property borders the University. I was very young, so I don't remember much. But my oldest brother, Ed, has a friend who was a Kent City cop at the time, and he was on the campus when the shooting occured. To this day he'll tell you that those kids were doing nothing more than being obnoxious kids. And that some of the Guardsmen (and cops) hated hippies and were itching for an excuse, if ya know what I mean. He turned in his badge later that same day.

Dave

I just learned on FauxNews that the protesters fired the first shots...........Of course, what was I expecting when I tuned in to FauxNews? I'm shocked that they didn't have evidence that put Obama in the crowd. Sure, he was seven years old, but at that age one can still pull a trigger.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-04-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

There was something on the news about whether someone in charge gave the order to shoot. Seeing the film where they all dropped to one knee and opened fire it sure looked less than an unplanned action.