Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Working Class Republicans

First post here,sometimes lurker.One thing that's been puzzling me is the working class republican.Can someone explain to me just what's in it for them.Just what do they hope to gain by trying to elect a republican for president.To me it seems that everything they do is designed to funnel money to the top.I'm in a working class situation and the people I encounter,their politics are are driven by racism more than anything else.And this was the case before Obama was the President.I wish they would get their heads out of their asses.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Racism and resentment go a long way in building a political following.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM

The hope that someday they to will be rich. Always hold out hope I guess. Or the good old American hatred of paying taxes since day one.

Barney
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Admin

Welcome DMax! Things need to be spelled out to the regular working stiff sometimes but mostly being weary and a little numb from doing the same old day in and day out leaves little left in the tank to get fired up with. I know that's the way I feel after hanging yet another set of kitchen cabinets or hanging a door in an out of square frame or clearing yet another drain. Funny how people are glad to see me but don't want to shake my calloused hand.

Sad to say but it appears to me things will have to get worse to wake up us blue collars and the white collared desk jockeys to realizing that we're all Americans and also human beings no matter what background we come from.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Until Reagan working class people were pretty much solidly Democratic but the Reagan campaign (which, significantly, kicked off in Philadelphia, Mississippi) and, later, his presidency ("Cadillac driving welfare queens") sowed the seeds of disaffection and racial resentment among the working class. These folks came to be known as "Reagan Democrats", now better known as just plain Republicans or, in many cases, Tea Partiers.

The racism that the Republicans since Reagan have nurtured boiled over with Obama's election. It's now absolutely overt and utterly mindless.

The Republicans, now emphatically a party of intolerance, racism and paranoia, worked this evil over the course of thirty years or more. I think it'll take a century to undo the damage, if indeed we ever can. Lincoln and TR would weep for their party and their country.

John
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Until Reagan working class people were pretty much solidly Democratic but the Reagan campaign (which, significantly, kicked off in Philadelphia, Mississippi) and, later, his presidency ("Cadillac driving welfare queens") sowed the seeds of disaffection and racial resentment among the working class. These folks came to be known as "Reagan Democrats", now better known as just plain Republicans or, in many cases, Tea Partiers.

The racism that the Republicans since Reagan have nurtured boiled over with Obama's election. It's now absolutely overt and utterly mindless.

The Republicans, now emphatically a party of intolerance, racism and paranoia, worked this evil over the course of thirty years or more. I think it'll take a century to undo the damage, if indeed we ever can. Lincoln and TR would weep for their party and their country.

John
While I completely agree with what you say, I have a hard time getting particularly warm & fuzzy with the Dem's either. A pox on both their houses, I say, but with a more virulent strain upon today's GOP.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I have a hard time getting particularly warm & fuzzy with the Dem's either.
A party completely devoid of fecks.

John
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
While I completely agree with what you say, I have a hard time getting particularly warm & fuzzy with the Dem's either. A pox on both their houses, I say, but with a more virulent strain upon today's GOP.
Mebbe the Dems'll get that strain that rots just the tip off instead of just killing 'em outright like the repub strain. I agree Finn they're all dirty but frying pan or into the fire is the choice this year.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM

At least the Left is willing to reach across to the Right in the countries interests.

Barney
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
A party completely devoid of fecks.

John
Indeed. Much less feck than desired.