Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Area Man

What difference does it really make?

I have some questions. Really. No comments, just a few questions.

What difference does it really make whether the 9/11 terrorists are tried in a millitary tribunal, or a Federal Court?

If either one ends in the same sentence, who cares?

Do you think the whole thing is just more rediculous political posturing?

Dave
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

I gather that the tribunal had run into difficulties of some sort and had reached an impass otherwise they would have been hung by now.

So try them in New York then hang them.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I gather that the tribunal had run into difficulties of some sort and had reached an impass otherwise they would have been hung by now.

So try them in New York then hang them.
One of the obstacles they faced was near insurrection within the JAG Corps. These tribunals were an affront to any legitimate judicial system and the JAG officers knew it and wanted no part of it.

As for the argument that bringing these people to the US for trial places us all in mortal danger, that's just more Bush Era fear mongering. The defendants themselves offer no danger wherever they're tried. As for their supporters, having the trials conducted at Guantanamo actually gives them more excuse to act against us. Having fair trials conducted under the aegis of a legitimate judicial system gives them less.

EDIT: Not that they would see a distinction here and, really, that's the point. They don't need no steenkin' 'scuses to attack us if they want to. Whether we try these people or where we try them makes no never mind to them at all.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 11-14-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Area Man

Oh, I know. It's an extension of the "OMG, Obamas gonna bring the terrorists to my town! Oooo!!!! Hide the kids in the basement and get me my Glock!!!"

As if they're just going to be released to roam free and toss anthrax about like wedding rice.

I'm beggining to think our countries name should be changes to "The United States of Moronica".

Well, so much for me not making any comments.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-14-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

It is the FUD principle, heard Pat Buchanan on TV pontificating on this very subject. Old Pat must have grown up next door to a major airport, never speaks below a shout.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
It is the FUD principle, heard Pat Buchanan on TV pontificating on this very subject. Old Pat must have grown up next door to a major airport, never speaks below a shout.
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt have been mainstays of the Republican Party for decades. In the beginning the target was mostly communists but really any "alien" group, whether racial, ethnic or national. Since the "Gingrich Devolutuion" of the mid-90s, however, it has come to mean any and every group identifiable as "not like us". That includes their domestic political opponents and people with whom they have religious differences.

It's no longer sufficient for Republicans to disagree with the other side of the aisle. Now it's essential that the opposition be hated, reviled and feared. People like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Virginia Fox, Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs and about half the Georgia Congressional Delegation are more and more using the rhetoric of violence and insurrection when discussing the Democratic party and Obama Administration.

There will, I fear, be Hell to pay before long and when it does all those responsible for fomenting it will do what Beck has already done and deny responsibility for the "nuts" who take his words to extremes.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 11-14-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

You left out that charming blond Ann Coulter, now there is a real piece of work.

Coincidence, I had always liked H.L. Mencken and here I am within a hop, skip and a jump of Charm City, his hometown. Another one I liked was Dorothy Parker, I seem drawn to all the sarcastic ones.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
You left out that charming blond Ann Coulter, now there is a real piece of work.

Coincidence, I had always liked H.L. Mencken and here I am within a hop, skip and a jump of Charm City, his hometown. Another one I liked was Dorothy Parker, I seem drawn to all the sarcastic ones.
Charm City is where I grew up so Mencken has always been more or less a local hero of mine. I admire Dorothy Parker as well and another member of the Algonquin Round Table, Robert Benchley. (Funnily enough, I lived in Princeton for a while too and while there met Robert's son Peter who wrote "Jaws".)

I gather that, as much as we might like the written words of Mr. M and Mrs. P, we probably would not have liked them very much as people. They were apparently pretty tough to be around.

John
Old 11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Resident octogenarian

So are you heading back this way?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So are you heading back this way?
Workin' on it. Took me ten years to figure it out but I'm not cut out to be a Left Coaster, unless you're talking about The Great White North, (Coo Loo coo coo coo coo coo coo!). I love BC but I'm too old to emigrate, eh?

Mmmmm............. Nanaimo bars!

John