Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Blue vs White.

Once again, office vs warehouse/production rears its' ugly head here at work.

Being on both sides over the years I understand both sides frustration.

All the issues, A/C, dirt, work order changes, last minute ships, we know the score

One thing I think is really unfair, drug tests if you have an accident. How's an office worker have an accident - paper cut?

Not advocating drug use btw

Pete
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Area Man

Don't get me started. Ooops! Too late.

As I have stated before; That while I am no big fan of drug abuse.

However,

I believe that drug testing is un-constitutional. If you check out the history of the so-call "drug war" going all the way back to it's roots you will find that this has been argued before and the anti-drug people lost. They had to delegitimize recreational drug use through an intense, (and often downright silly), propaganda campaign, and then find ways to go after the drug trade through TAX CODE.

Besides;

Just because you come up positive on a urinalisys test shortly after having had an accident, does not prove that you were stoned at the time of the incident.
It could have been the night before, a week ago, a month ago, or even longer.
And it is none of your employers business if you smoked a joint at a party while on vacation last summer. Is it illegal? Sure. But, so is speeding. And I don't think it would be right for an employer to fire an employee for getting a speeding ticket, unless he was driving a company vehicle on company time.

See what I'm sayin'?

Dave
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We agree about something

I know a company that does a cheek swab test, much more fair as it only goes back two or three days.

Even that though, someone hits a j 3 days ago, hits another towmotor that causes injury, workers comp is DENIED??! I call BS.

But all us pencil pushers know the production guys are a bunch of stoner slackers who complain about everything

Pete
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Resident octogenarian

I once took a drug test for a software company, when they said I was clean I told them "Well you should have asked me I would have told you that. By the way did they tell you what brand of gin I drink?"
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Once a office worker is operating a tow motor, stamp press or any number of machines where several workers work hand in hand or can be directly affected by ones misuse then the drug policy arguement about blue vs white will hold more water. Is it a perfect policy? Nope... but the simple fact that Blue workers are more hands on with serious equipment is enough justification.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Don't get me started. Ooops! Too late.

As I have stated before; That while I am no big fan of drug abuse.

However,

I believe that drug testing is un-constitutional. If you check out the history of the so-call "drug war" going all the way back to it's roots you will find that this has been argued before and the anti-drug people lost. They had to delegitimize recreational drug use through an intense, (and often downright silly), propaganda campaign, and then find ways to go after the drug trade through TAX CODE.

Besides;

Just because you come up positive on a urinalisys test shortly after having had an accident, does not prove that you were stoned at the time of the incident.
It could have been the night before, a week ago, a month ago, or even longer.
And it is none of your employers business if you smoked a joint at a party while on vacation last summer. Is it illegal? Sure. But, so is speeding. And I don't think it would be right for an employer to fire an employee for getting a speeding ticket, unless he was driving a company vehicle on company time.

See what I'm sayin'?

Dave
Hard to disagree.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
Once a office worker is operating a tow motor, stamp press or any number of machines where several workers work hand in hand or can be directly affected by ones misuse then the drug policy arguement about blue vs white will hold more water. Is it a perfect policy? Nope... but the simple fact that Blue workers are more hands on with serious equipment is enough justification.
So how many people would I have injured while teaching them WAN/LAN software?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
I would agree, except I do not see why someone hitting a j a month ago should be punished - and cut off from workers comp - for something that couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So how many people would I have injured while teaching them WAN/LAN software?
Rob, if the pupil was no-computer-skills me you'd probably have injured me over the head. With extreme prejudice

Pete
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator

As a pro mary jane flunky I have to say drug testing is needed on a lot of jobs. Lives and business could be at stake if some pot head is snoozing instead of doing his job.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As a pro mary jane flunky I have to say drug testing is needed on a lot of jobs. Lives and business could be at stake if some pot head is snoozing instead of doing his job.
That is exactly why it gets sticky.

I was required to take a polygraph as part of a job application once. I wanted the job so I had to but I knew from previous experience that they just don't work. I had no "practical" choice.

I think there are many jobs that insist on drug tests now adays that are nothing more than an invasion of privacy.