Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

A question for Republicans

I'll start out by acknowledging that I am a Democrat (as if that surprises anyone here) I disagree with too much of what is going on in congress, on both sides of the aisle, and I will attribute much of that to what Rob accurately calls legalized bribery. Much of it is also that people willing to get into politics at that level are likely well entrenched in the horse trading that much of politics is. That being said, I prefer the Democrats. They may be bastards, but they're my bastards.

My question for the Republicans out there is whether you are satisfied with the people who appear to be the face of the GOP: I'm talking about people like Rush Limbaugh, the Fox News crew, Sarah Palin (who fits in with the Fox News crew now, I guess) and the newly elected senator from Massachusetts, who is noW being touted as a symbol of America's rejection of the Democratic policies. Do these people speak for you, as a Republican? Why or why not?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Whoa! Nothing like putting it out there to be pilloried by both parties

But OK. The short answer is no. I know one guy who listens to Rush and agrees, and know one lady (Dem) who listens to him for entertainment (he can be funny).

Palin, I'm disappointed quite frankly. After the superstar launch at the convention it became clear to me that she was a little out of her element. Even still I thought she might learn 'on the job' but after stepping down from the Governorship I figured she was going the pundit route.

Fox I don't mind. It appears to me that for the most part the networks softball Obama and it used to be well known most reporters were in fact Democrats, so a lttle far to the right was ok.

Brown, who knows, he's not MY Senator It appears I generally agree with him.

Now, how about Sheenan, Kucinich, and those nuts on the west coast?

Pete

Last edited by piece-itpete; 01-20-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Horrid spelling.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Guess the TV in your area is different, I don't see Obama getting a free ride of any sort. Not being a Republican I can't answer any of the rest. As to all reporters being Democrats that's another popular myth, used to deflect honest criticism.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

This is interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113455/

Pete
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM

From the June 7 edition of MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews:

MATTHEWS: How did you manage to get Francine Busby the Democratic nomination in that seat?

MEHLMAN: We didn't -- we wouldn't have anything to do with that, but look --

MATTHEWS: What did you make -- we just showed the tape, David Shuster just showed that tape of a woman candidate in the United States openly advising people in this country illegally to vote illegally.

MEHLMAN: It sounds like she may have been an adviser to that Washington state candidate for governor or some other places around the country where this has happened in other cases with Democrats.

But the fact is, one thing we know, the American people believe that legal voters should vote and they believe that their right to vote ought to be protected from people that don't have the right to vote.

[...]

MATTHEWS: This woman, this candidate of the Democratic Party came out and told Hispanic voters go ahead and vote, you don't need papers. She was encouraging illegal voting right on -- we heard it on the mike.

CHARLIE COOK [editor of the newsletter The Cook Political Report]: Either it encouraged it or it sounded awfully close to it, but it was a stupid thing to say. And to be honest, she was running basically even, even slightly ahead in the polls going into that statement. Frankly, I think it blew the race wide open.

MATTHEWS: Hey, you're being kind. She said you don't need papers. What else could she have meant?

COOK: Oh, no, no, no, no, I'm just, you know.

MATTHEWS: She was urging people to break the law. They are breaking law getting in the country. Now she says break the law again by voting, and she's carrying the banner of the Democratic Party.

COOK: It was a stupid thing to say.

MATTHEWS: She's running again in November.

COOK: Here's the danger for Democrats. This is the best political mood for them since Watergate. And yet, they don't have that many really good candidates around the country. They've got a lot of people that are fairly inexperienced candidates, like Francine Busby, who are capable of screwing up even when they've got a golden opportunity to win. And you just saw it.

MATTHEWS: Hey, look. If I were writing the Republican platform right now, I'd take that quote from her on tape and use it in all those races out there and say, "The Democratic Party believes in voting illegal immigrants to get more votes."

To paraphrase a member here with my own embelishment, "If I hear another individual talking about how Bush won the 2000 election by vote tampering I'm going to put a gun to my head"

RC
Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Now, how about Sheenan, Kucinich, and those nuts
Kucinich is a nut?

Sheenan is just a lost sole. It is understandable. Her followers should be in your party.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Guess the TV in your area is different, I don't see Obama getting a free ride of any sort. Not being a Republican I can't answer any of the rest. As to all reporters being Democrats that's another popular myth, used to deflect honest criticism.
You missed it Rob.

Fox said he was getting a free ride.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Kucinich is a nut?
As my rep for many years I am eminently qualified to say:

100% yes.

Pete
Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post

To paraphrase a member here with my own embelishment, "If I hear another individual talking about how Bush won the 2000 election by vote tampering I'm going to put a gun to my head"

RC
well leave the gun alone but anyone who thinks he did not, well just wants to believe that.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
As my rep for many years I am eminently qualified to say:

100% yes.

Pete
well i am sure you know.

Still I think allot of his ideas are good.

Just having a good idea or agenda is simply not enough however.