Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Laurence Tribe Fights Climate Case

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/us...bama.html?_r=0

Mr. Tribe, 73, has been retained to represent Peabody Energy, the nation’s largest coal company, in its legal quest to block an Environmental Protection Agency regulation that would cut carbon dioxide emissions from the nation’s coal-fired power plants — the heart of Mr. Obama’s climate change agenda.

Mr. Tribe argues in a brief for the case that in requiring states to cut carbon emissions, thus to change their energy supply from fossil fuels to renewable sources, the E.P.A. is asserting executive power far beyond its lawful authority under the Clean Air Act. At a House hearing last month, Mr. Tribe likened the climate change policies of Mr. Obama to “burning the Constitution.

It is widely expected that the fight over the E.P.A. regulations will eventually go before the Supreme Court. If it does, Mr. Tribe said that he expects he “may well” play a role in that case — which would be argued before two other former students, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Elena Kagan.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.

Paradise - John Prine

It seems that Mr. Prine was on to something. In Newsweek's 2011 rankings of the least eco-friendly companies in the US, Peabody Energy was ranked #9 out of the top 500 largest US companies based on their environmental impact.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
At a House hearing last month,[B] Mr. Tribe likened the climate change policies of Mr. Obama to “burning the Constitution.
Tribe gets to be famous again, and get a big payday, and make a brave stand on principle (I'm sure he believes).

Hype for the cameras? Burning the Constitution? Puh-lease. I'm sure he has actual arguments as well, but I dig that you're snapping at the airborne raw meat here....

Last edited by donquixote99; 04-07-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 PM

I realize that the thread title is taken from the NYT article but this isn't a "climate case". It's an "executive authority case".
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Tribe gets to be famous again, and get a big payday, and make a brave stand on principle (I'm sure he believes).

Hype for the cameras? Burning the Constitution? Puh-lease. I'm sure he has actual arguments as well, but I dig that you're snapping at the airborne raw meat here....
Darn, I thought you were ignoring me.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I realize that the thread title is taken from the NYT article but this isn't a "climate case". It's an "executive authority case".
You're right, which makes this case all that much more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

Its interesting because this is a liberal standing on principle...against a liberal politician who is far more pragmatic that he is principled. Sets up as rather interesting political theater, as well as a counterpoint to test the limits of what a Prez can get done with a pen and a phone.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Its interesting because this is a liberal standing on principle...against a liberal politician who is far more pragmatic that he is principled. Sets up as rather interesting political theater, as well as a counterpoint to test the limits of what a Prez can get done with a pen and a phone.
Yeh, it's unconscionable that anyone should get in the way of Peabody stripping off mountain-tops and spewing poisons in the air.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Persona non grata

Almost Heaven, West Virginia!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yeh, it's unconscionable that anyone should get in the way of Peabody stripping off mountain-tops and spewing poisons in the air.
...just as unconscionable that the gov't can act unilaterally and absent any constitutional authority to prevent it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
...just as unconscionable that the gov't can act unilaterally and absent any constitutional authority to prevent it.
That's merely an assertion which remains to be proven and with which many disagree.

Of course, those who disagree aren't degreed experts in Constitutional law like you.